Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #31
WG Guardian Spirit

Eew. I didn't read Wikispaces' TOS before I made the suggestion, and I know better. Sorry.

I've just left another forum rather nastily becuase they didn't make their TOS publicly available (I do read the things before I sign up for stuff, honest) but had an unwritten "policy" that they could republish anything posted there. They weren't too happy when I pointed out how illegal that was, after they republished something of mine without permission. But with the TOS and an "agree" button, it's perfectly legal, just not what we'd want.

FWIW, I think keeping it in threads is a good idea.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #32
Administrator

Wildlife Gardeners isn't claiming copyright to content contributed so you won't see a clause like that in our TOS. We wanted to be sure members retained their copyright. We did reserve the right to modify, reproduce, and redistribute materials posted to our service. Haven't run into a site that doesn't do that. Take any threads started as "wiki" threads as an example. At such time as we are in a position to begin building our own database, we will be able to extract any photos as well as any content from threads started in the 'Help Identifying Plants' forum to move into a newly created area of the site. We would also be able to crop photos to be able to fit them nicely and neatly into a "wiki" and we would also be able to correct misspellings of binomials etc. Expanding on this, we would be able to use a photo or an excerpt from a post to create a flyer to use at a booth for a county fair to encourage people to visit our online community.

We'll be following the same guidelines as our members and will be asking for permission to use any photos contributed for flyers promoting our community as well as for use in our individual forums and subforums.

As Wildlife Gardeners is an educational service, we will be asking that contributors to the "wiki" agree to allow their entries to be free for the taking to educators and those working within their communities.
Fearless Weeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #33
Heron

I like the idea of keeping our own copyright!

" How would you, and the others, feel about allowing threads with content for a future "wiki" right here in the 'Help Identifying Plants' forum for the time being?"

I think this is the best way to go until we can afford to pay programmers to create our own "wiki" database.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #34
WG Guardian Spirit

I understand the TOS here, and it's not the same thing I was objecting to elsewhere (not a garden-related site, btw). They reposted on a different sever, and they licensed content from that server to paying customers, both online and print. Not that there would have to be money involved to make the copyright violations illegal, but it did make me madder than I would have been. That and they had no mention of reserving any rights to themselves at all in their TOS. Thing is, it was a little bitty piece of writing that I probably would have let them use if they'd just asked. Which I told them.

There's a difference between rearranging posts within a forum and publishing material one doesn't hold the rights to, even in this medium.

A decent TOS covers all that, wherever the rights will reside, and that way people can decide whether or not to join up, which is what I did on that other site; they just tried to steal rights not mentioned in their TOS and were unhappy when I objected (in private correspondence).

I think the TOS here are entirely respectful of authors and are appropriate.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
I think the TOS here are entirely respectful of authors and are appropriate.
Thank you.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #36
Big Fat juicy WORM

Me too. This is a "hot" button issue for me, since I got burned on another site over articles I had written. I didn't realize what a pain in the tail they would be when I wanted permission to use the article for a Master Gardener newsletter. Whew
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #37
Administrator

Members will also be retaining their copyright to their photos as well as to any videos and power point presentations they'll be able to share here in the future.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 PM   #38
Grub

The forum is going great guns! The web site is majorly user-friendly with many slick features usually found only on sites with many ads. Keep up the excellent work! trout lily
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #39
WG Staff

Thank you for your encouraging comments trout lily.
Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #40
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I love the site and am very impressed with area it covers. The topic range is wonderful and it's obvious alot of thought and work went into its creation.

I live in a condo and no longer garden but love wildlife and am interested in encouraging wildlife to visit our property. Practically every day I photograph nature and wildlife, both at home and nearby.

My only issue with this site is the mandatory limit it puts on my photos, which I have already reached. :mad: If I can't post photos to the monthly contests or other appropriate threads, it's unlikely I'll visit daily because photography is my passion and I love to share it freely with those who appreciate it .
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote