Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

View Poll Results: How did you find the Wildlife Gardeners website? Help us find new members by letting us know.
Referred here by a member of Wildlife Gardeners. 9 27.27%
A link found in an internet search (Google, Yahoo, etc.). I was searching for ... 11 33.33%
An organization I belong to mentioned WildlifeGardeners.org. 1 3.03%
WildlifeGardeners.org was mentioned at a presentation I attended. 0 0%
Email from WildlifeGardeners.org. 3 9.09%
A link found on another website. (Which one?) 6 18.18%
Other. (Please let us know what it was.) 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

I found this place looking for a Native Plant forum. We're the only one in the world apparently.

I'm a little surprised people are voting for "F. A link found on another website. (Which one?)" whenever I link someone here it tells them "You have to be a member to view this content." It doesn't do this for the home page but for images and threads it does.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Grub

I'm one of tne people who chose "F". One of the members from here had included a link to WG in a thread from somebody looking for some kind of wildlife or native seed or plant. There is a Natlive Plant fourm over at GardenWeb but it gets much less activity than the forum here. I first learned about the importance of growing native plants and avoiding invasive plants on some of the forums over there such as Wildlife and Bird Watching forums.
loris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
WG Writer

Equilibrium brought me. She dragged me over here and told me not to post anywhere else!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
Salamander

At the time, I was a member of Dave's Garden and posting primarily about native plants and animals. Someone from Wildlife Gardeners invited me to check it out and I was very happy to find a place where other gardeners felt the same way I did about ornamentals/non-native exotics!

I think a good way to get the word out would be via local arboreta (sp?) and native plant societies.

Master Gardeners is a good idea, too, but some of the MG I know are really into non-native ornamentals and high-maintenance lawns!

Some environmental organizations might be compatible--for example, in this are we have the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and other similar groups. . .
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
At the time, I was a member of Dave's Garden and posting primarily about native plants and animals. Someone from Wildlife Gardeners invited me to check it out and I was very happy to find a place where other gardeners felt the same way I did about ornamentals/non-native exotics!

I think a good way to get the word out would be via local arboreta (sp?) and native plant societies.

Master Gardeners is a good idea, too, but some of the MG I know are really into non-native ornamentals and high-maintenance lawns!

Some environmental organizations might be compatible--for example, in this are we have the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and other similar groups. . .

I have never been to Dave's Garden, but I remember reading complaints about that site on the Native Plant Forum (Gardenweb).

Also, I did mention WildlifeGardeners at a local plant sale. I wrote it down for them, so I hope they pass it along.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
WG Operations, Facilitator

Talking

I was writing about the wildlife in my backyard on GardenWeb. Fearless Weeder sent me an invite to the Wildlife Gardeners Fourm. I'm embarassed to say that I thought the first email he sent me was junk mail. Then I received a second email from Fearless Weeder and opened it. Lucky I did, because then I found this forum. A forum that is all about everything I love, native plants, wildlife, & gardening!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #17
Co-Administrator

Quote:
I'm a little surprised people are voting for "F. A link found on another website. (Which one?)" whenever I link someone here it tells them "You have to be a member to view this content." It doesn't do this for the home page but for images and threads it does.
I just tried some links to Wildlife Gardener threads from other websites and they do work.

The only time that I can think of where "You have to be a member to view this content." would appear is if you were trying to link to something that is limited to members only:
Introduce Yourself Please
Native Plant and Seed Exchange
Fruits, Nuts, & Vegetable Plant and Seed Exchange
Members Only Area

Threads in those areas are viewable only by members.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #18
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

It may have been that. The other time my friends get the message is if I direct link them to a photo here. It says they have to log in to view. I just tried this with a friend, and even if I send them a link to a forum post normally, they have to log in to enlarge attached photos. This isn't necessarily a problem though.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #19
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

I just now linked to some pictures in a thread here after logging out from WG.
I could enlarge the first picture, but was then asked to sign in to see more. Who knows, maybe a few will try it and sign up.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #20
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I don't know what the newbies are now seeing when they visit the sight.
Myself....I recall typing in the Http:// link from a Master gardeners newsletter to originally get onto the sight. At that time I could read everything but I could not view the photos UNLESS I joined. Well then, I just HAD to join, being put to me that way! I found it to be a very informative and fun way to learn and share.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attracting, attracting wildlife, find, forum, gardeners, gardening, gardening for wildlife, join, joining, member, members, native plant, native plants, web site, website, wild flowers, wildflowers, wildlife, wildlife gardeners, wildlife gardeners fourm, www.wildlifegardeners.org