Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Fox

Wildlife Gardeners provides me with an appreciation of so many different facets of the natural world. I've always been interested in nature, but there are so many areas that I've never really explored.

Just a few examples that come to mind:
Herps - who knew that there were so many interesting creatures out there.
Insects - such great diversity; fascinating creatures.
Birds - some great info on nesting for bluebirds and martins, and the responsibility that goes with it.
Bears - remarkable insight.
This list could go on and on, but even a brief review of the topics in the forums would show the wonderful variety of information here.

Another area of insight is a greater understanding and appreciation for how all of the different flora and fauna are connected to each other.

Another thing I've learned is that there are a lot of people who care about the environment. People that are doing things to make things better for nature's creations. Reading those posts is incredibly refreshing.

The knowledge embodied in the members here is remarkable. Members that are willing to take the time to share that knowledge. And members that are so eager to tap into that knowledge. It's a great combination.

And there are a lot of people here having waaay too much fun!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
The Bug Whisperer

The strength of this forum is its diversity. Everyone has something to teach; everyone has something to learn...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:54 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

A sincere question, eh? It’s too late…. or too early for someone to ask sincere questions…. I don’t think I’ve got enough neural cells fired up to tackle it beyond the basics and even if I did…. there wouldn’t be enough space. I learned what a derecho was. How to recognize a chiton. That growing vegetables is not a walk in the park like I thought it would be. How to kill vegetables and how to kill them well. Where to buy the best heirloom potatoes. How to make my own EM1 and the bokashi buckets to use it in complete with spigots installed by ME. How to dice my gas bill by hanging everything but socks and underwear up to dry. How to make my own applesauce and fruit preserves and how to can pears, apricots, and peaches. How to make my own raised bed vegetable gardens using “manly” tools. That if you could only have one shroom book, the best one to buy is Peterson's 'A Field Guide to Mushrooms: North America'. That horses are good for something besides being expensive pasture pets…. poop for my new veggie beds. How to make and decorate my own hanging birdhouse gourds… thanks for the gourds biig. Which egg laying chickens I want and why. Why I don’t want a goat…. at least not this year. What a Dexter is and why I don’t want one…. never ever. Where to buy the fruit trees I lusted for. What happened to the crow with the broken leg in the book 'Crow Planet'. That 'Anthill' by Wilson is the next book I want to read. That I really do want to drop $50 to buy the fancy Victorian door for the new chicken coop I’m going to build. I learned the grape vine I need is Concord and that any hardneck garlic that tickles my taste buds is the right garlic for me. And this morning from taking Cirsium’s test…. I learned I’m an “Economist”.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
WG Facilitator

Wow - if you learned that much, you must be really, really smart! Can I hang out with you?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
I have learned that although I often feel adrift in a sea of people so unconnected to growing or nurturing. . . I can come here and realize I'm not the last one left . . . In fact there are some here that make me feel like a beginner compared to their vast knowledge and experiences.

What she said...
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
WG Fundraising Coordinator

What I appreciate is the level of knowledge of so many here and how it has opened my eyes to things I've never considered closely and the diversity of subjects I've never thought about before.

And if I could sum up what jack396 said, this is a place to share.

Most of all I love what NEWisc said and will repeat 'And there are alot of people here having waaay too much fun' - you know who you are!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
WG Facebook Administrator

I think it might even be the case that most of what I know about ecology I've learned here. I certainly wouldn't know much of anything about birds, insects, or plants from other regions without the conversations on Wildlife Gardeners stimulating interest in these things.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
Salamander

I've learned that I'm not the only person who's enthusiastic about native plants and animals, and that there are plenty of other people who make me look indifferent & ignorant by comparison.

I've learned that this is a great place to get advice and information on native gardening without anyone encouraging wide-scale chemical use or non-native plants, which makes Wildlife Gardeners unlike any other gardening site out there!
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
Lungwort

I found WG just a couple of months ago while searching for info on Bokashi. I found what I was looking for and so much more. In the short time that I have been a member I have learned to build my first successful compost pile and how to make a bokashi bucket and serum. I've learned about the importance of gardening with natives and preserving habitats. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface and have so much to learn. I'm so sorry to hear that WG will be closing the site! As so many others have already said, its been so wonderful finding that there are others who are passionate about preserving the environment. Thank you to everyone who shared their knowledge and made me feel welcome!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #20
WG Operations, Facilitator

I've learned soooooo much here!

The mix of members and their backgrounds make this the best wildlife gardening forum on the net. A group of people so enthusiastic to share information based on knowledge and experience is really something to behold. What's this bug? What's this bird? What's this critter poo? What's eating my squash? Why is there goo on my peaches? How do I make bokashi? What's this reptile thing? How do I attract butterflies? Can I eat this mushroom? What's the best way to compost? It seems like whenever a question is asked, it receives smart answers quick. Answers from people who really know their stuff. Not only does this impress me, it allows me to learn. And I've learned so much since I've been here....

Native plants and how important they are.
Which bugs, birds, butterflies & mammals like to dine on which plants.
That spider web photos are pieces of art (I actually don't hate spiders anymore.)
Snakes don't have to be scary (I finally stopped screaming at reptilian creatures.)
What a newt is (I never even knew they existed!)
That bugs have names (other than YUK.)
That non-native invasive plants are a bad thing and why.
How to make a squirrel house and a toad abode.
And so much more.

Best of all I found a group of people who don't mind my ramblings about black bears.

If this site goes away, I'll never be able to look at my brand new Queen of the Prairie plant without tearing up. It was the WildlifeGardeners Forum that put Queen of the Prairie in the number one spot on my list of "native must have plants." In case you're wondering, my number two "must have native plant," after learning about it on this forum, was Jack-in-the-Pulpit. It's a plant much loved by black bears. And yes, I can say that's absolutely true. The day after I placed my beautiful Jack-in-the-Pulpit plant in the ground, the bears ate it up in one gulp.

Tags
gardeners, question, sincere, wildlife