Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Default Forum Chat Room

This place could use a chat room I think.

I've used meebo chatrooms before, though I haven't quite gotten the embedded video part to work. The occasional ad pops up in them them (as a line of chat usually getting you to buy a TV. But other then that they're not annoying at all.

Anyone know other options available?
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Pope

MrILoveTheAnts, my experience with chat rooms is nil, so please bear with my question: How would a chat room improve the site?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Too Wild To Garden

To answer your question Hedge, chatrooms are a nifty social feature that allows a typed conversation to happen at a real-time pace. It's a more spontanious format than a board. In most cases, I think, the conversations aren't kept around for more than a few minutes or hours, so in such discussions you don't have to worry about spelling or about the conversation being read a year later.

Such a tool is useful for a scheduled conversation, I.e. "let's meet in the chatroom at 7 pm to iron out the details of our project". It's slower than a phone conversation, but "safe" for those who aren't willing to give out their phone numbers.

The down side is that chat rooms are prone to utter sillyness. I would suggest that you try a chatroom out on another forum, but chances are you would see some discouraging buffoonery going on.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Pope

Thanks Stononiferous. I DO know what a chat room is (I am not a complete Neanderthal, I just look like one ), I am only wondering how it would improve the site. Actually, if people want it and would use it, it is a good idea. Would it free up server space and things like that? Would it be difficult for those with dial-up to use?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Too Wild To Garden

Don't know and don't know, I'm afraid. A chatroom might not be a worthwhile addition. Maybe some other folks will weigh in. . .
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Pope

It might be an outstanding addition. Okay, I admit it--I am a Neanderthal--technologically superior beings will hopefully have some views.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

WG has an owned application for live chat installed. The application WG has is compatible with vBulletin. Compatible doesn't mean it will work for us with other third party applications running.

We could trial live chat after we're done with priority site enhancements.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
WG Staff

Our app is not ad supported. Registered members would be able to use their existing username and password to log on to live chat.

There was talk of making live chat available once a week for 2 hours. It would be too risky to try offering this right now. It could interfere with other features we're launching. This is one of those features that was on our to-do list if there was enough interest.

Thank you for suggesting a chat feature MrILoveTheAnts.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Fox

I'd like the addition of a chat feature here.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Heron

Fellow Neanderthal here. I find chat room conversations move faster than I type. Hunt...pick...
But I've been on sites where members have started a post for an on going conversations. Thats easier that PM reply PM again...

Tags
chat, forum, room