Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Default Photo Contests

Question? FOR STAFF?
Now this is not to get you into any trouble but I'm wondering..............
What are we allowed to do with our photos for the contests.

There are so many going on right now.......
Invasives
Insects
SAP
PAP
Photo of the month-July
Any others I missed?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Administrator

That is a question to be answered by each member running a contest.

If I am not mistaken, suunto has already addressed this for his contests. Dave Stiles would be the member to ask for the Photo of the Month Contest. bubbleoffplumb and Hedgerowe would have to answer for their respective contests. Staff may only answer for invasives.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

That's what I was afraid of.............

Instead of backtracking through all the threads for each one to find this info (If it is even mentioned at all in them) I'll start a thread to see if they can answer this grand slam.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
A bee happily enjoying Tradescatia ohiensis
Considering my picture has created such an uproar I will respecfully remove my submission. I don't think I will enetr any more for fear I break some rules.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #5

Noooooooooooooooooo I didn't put that thread up because of you!
I started that thread to see what the norm is for these contests. They want me to be a judge and since I'm new at this I was just feeling it out how they run theirs......
Please don't leave. That wasn't my intent. We want you here with us! I love seeing your work. Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.. Now you got me pouting here wishing I hadn't asked.........I'm sorry...............................

Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
Naturalist/Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillium View Post
Considering my picture has created such an uproar I will respecfully remove my submission. I don't think I will enetr any more for fear I break some rules.
Too late - it's entered and will be considered for July. In the future add a note the image is HDR and I will pick one winner for the month that is not HDR and if the powers that be will allow I will choose one HDR for the month also - as long as there are a few to choose from. HDR is a great tool, just not in use by many right now as an edit tool.

If this seems too harsh, my apologies and I will resign as POTM judge ... it's up to the Staff if they wish me to remain.

Of course then I would be able to enter my stuff each month
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

The HDR photo did not create an uproar. It has created an opportunity for discussion.

HDR is a composite technique not an editing tool.
It
merges data captured from the sensors of multiple raw files to produce a single "High Dynamic Range" image.

WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stiles View Post
Too late - it's entered and will be considered for July. In the future add a note the image is HDR and I will pick one winner for the month that is not HDR and if the powers that be will allow I will choose one HDR for the month also - as long as there are a few to choose from. HDR is a great tool, just not in use by many right now as an edit tool.

If this seems too harsh, my apologies and I will resign as POTM judge ... it's up to the Staff if they wish me to remain.

Of course then I would be able to enter my stuff each month

NP. I did not look through the "rules" so therefore you have the right to dq it as I see it. I just wish someone would have said, "hey I think we all ready discussed that and we don't allow it" instead of having multiple discussions across several threads, that quite frankly have really hurt my feelings, and will put me into lurk mode for awhile.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
Administrator

We are a new site. We haven't reached a one year anniversary yet. We frequently ask for the patience of members while we work through issues.

We learn as we go using inquiries such as havalotta's, trillium's, and Equilibrium's as opportunities to reaffirm a position previously taken or to revisit positions.

One thing we do know, we would not want Dave Stiles stepping down and entering his "stuff" each month.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Naturalist/Photographer

wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Weeder View Post
One thing we do know, we would not want Dave Stiles stepping down and entering his "stuff" each month.
Hey now - I'm no better than any other photographer here on WG. I just have more luck with subjects due to where I live and work ... without good subjects I'd have mediocre images!
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contests, photo