Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

What would your rules and ending date be Hedgerow?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Pope

The ending date for the Snag Appreciation Program (SAP) photo contest will be September 10th at midnight Eastern time.

As for altering or editing images, because I view this as something that anyone can participate in regardless of experience or know-how, I'd like to draw the line at cropping. Cropping is okay, but not otherwise altering or editing an image.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Images that you have already posted on the forum, joepyeweed? Or that you have altered prior to posting?
I did note on the bug thread not to include my images in the contest, because I don't know which ones were altered and which ones were not. I just assume they have all been "altered".

I almost always adjust, brightness, contrast, color. I always crop. I haven't been putting many images in the contest threads, because I don't keep track of which images have been just cropped, verses other alterations.

Photographers have been adjusting images since they first started developing film... it part of the art of photography.

If you have a great picture, there is not much editing that you need to do.

You can't really take a crappy picture and make it great picture by editing.
You can take a crappy picture and make it an okay picture... and you can make an okay picture better.. but you really need a great picture to start with to finish with a great picture...
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #14

Hooray.We now have the SAP rules and ending date as well.
Glad to see another contest with easy rules to follow..............
Cropping only in this one.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Pope

I agree with everything you say, joepyeweed. Photographers do and always have manipulated what and how the camera captures images and that is what makes photography art (and why I love it). At the very least, we all make an aesthetic judgement as to how and when to push that button.

On the other hand it is not only an art, it is documentation as well. Both are valid reasons to shoot photos. For the SAP contest, at least, I would like both content and form to have a voice. There are many ways to appreciate a snag, or a pile, or an insect, or a herp...
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #16

Joepyeweed I saw the note you mentioned about not entering any of yours because they were altered. Is there a way you can tell if they have been altered or not so you can enter more? I'm very glad you still share them with us as they're very useful for identification!
What you say below is so true!

Photographers have been adjusting images since they first started developing film..
You can't really take a crappy picture and make it great picture by editing.
You can take a crappy picture and make it an okay picture... and you can make an okay picture better but................

You really need a great picture to start with to finish with a great picture...
And THAT is a fact!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of yours...............
_

Old 07-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #17

Right on Hedgerowe.
There are a lot of ways to heap a pile, climb a snag, trap an insect, tickle a herp and even more ways to take a photo.
It is an art, a fun art that we all enjoy one way or another weather it be in the quest, taking, adjusting, viewing, or reading about where it comes from, what it does, how we can fix it, and on and on.The list of questions a photo can generate is staggering. We see it here everyday.............Isn't it FUN!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
Naturalist/Photographer

As for Photo of the Month - Here's my take on what I would ask for rules.

#1 - Image submitted by the last day of the month

#2 - No obvious image manipulation. HDR is obvious to me.

#3 - No more than four images per person.

#4 - Only enter the image once per year. There is always next year for the month the image was taken.

#5 - If it can be done in a dark room with film then feel free to adjust/crop/etc. if it is a digital image.

#6 - Submit what you feel is right. I don't always judge on technical perfection of the image - I look for what 'looks' right.

#7 - Sorry - No Domestic Pets - Orphan bears are not pets...

#8 - Leave nice comments about other images in the thread if you feel the urge to do so.

#9 - See Rule #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepyeweed View Post
You can't really take a crappy picture and make it great picture by editing. You can take a crappy picture and make it an okay picture ... and you can make an okay picture better.. but you really need a great picture to start with to finish with a great picture!
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #19
WG Staff

As for the Flora Hall of Shame Invasive Species contest:
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/invasive-flora/820-flora-hall-shame-invasive-species-contest.html

Deadline for entries is Oct 31, 2009
No obvious image manipulation (cropping and contrast adjustment are fine)
Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
Grub

If I may respectfully ask, then why even allow cropping? Isn't composition just as much a part of the art of photography? Also what are the rules for telephotos, and how many megapixels a camera can have? I mean, I have a 700mm for my print camera that I can just as easily put photos on a cd, and upload. But that really isn't fair to everyone either is it? Since I know how to push stops, and someone else might not, is that fair? Maybe you need to consider something for amateurs, and something for people who are more advanced in photography?
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contest, guideline, photo, questions, rules