Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #41
Heron

I don't think there is a significant difference between the naturalized definition above and NRCS version.

"other than their place of origin" = not native
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #42
Too Wild To Garden

Hi Hazel!

There is absolutely no reason to limit discussion, or debate!

I was taken by surprise to find myself on the student end of a discussion here. Silly me.

Did I pounce on you somewhere? If so, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.

Last edited by Fearless Weeder; 06-04-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: save
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #43
Heron

It is a good discussion. I learned from it.

Nature evolves, that's the beauty of it. We also evolves in our concept and understanding.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #44
WG Facilitator

OK, everyone, take a deep breath. ohhhhmmmmm There are other threads for heavy discussions. This one is for the benefit of Native Plant Imbeciles like me.

I'm one of those who need to run out and buy the "Native Plants for Dummies" book if there is such a thing. I don't know a native from a naturalized from an exotic, and seeing the definitions are a help to me.

PS I can recognize a flagrantly invasive plant, because that's the only kind that grows well for me. As someone once said, the only thing that grows like a weed in my yard is a weed.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #45
Big Fat juicy WORM

Ok, and that make Eq a what? Oh my, oh my........LOL
Old 06-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #46
Co-Administrator

We appreciate questions and comments about our policies and procedures, but it is important to remember that we are committed to our mission statement:

"Wildlife Gardeners promotes environmentally sound practices to preserve biodiversity. We do so by encouraging discussions of the preservation, restoration and establishment of native flora and fauna AND sustainable gardening practices. The Best science will prevail. We are an environmental tutelage and advocacy organization dedicated to fostering a love of ecosystems and education in the areas of environmental science and natural history."

"The best science will prevail." is a central part of our philosophy. Science, unlike many other areas of interest, has established procedures and systems for valuing data and information. Opinions must be supported by facts and sound logic in order to gain acceptance.

We work very hard to adhere to the best science available. We want to provide the best information that we can for our members' consideration. We believe that the definitions that we have chosen are widely accepted in the scientific community and applicable to our mission.

Our purpose in stating these definitions is to provide a common point of reference when discussing North American flora and fauna. The definitions were not posted to open a debate about their validity. They were posted to inform the members of where we stand, and to help them understand those terms. New members see those terms in a lot of posts and may not understand what they mean. It's fine for members to ask questions if they are seeking more information, but it isn't fine to challenge/undermine the definitions.

This is particularly important because doing so is viewed as an attack on one of the core values of this website. Without good definitions, discussions on issues concerning "native", "invasive", etc., become meaningless, or at best, just someone's opinion.

We hope that our members will find the definitions helpful; whether beginner or expert.

Our definitions:
Native, invasive, and other plant-relateded definitions currently in use at WG
Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #47
Official Plant Nerd

"Ok, and that make Eq a what? Oh my, oh my........LOL" That makes me a worm waster while you're a worm hugger. Are you getting a jingle stuck in your head to the tune of I'm a girl watcher?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #48
WG Facilitator

You're making me laugh. That's a good way to start off the weekend.

Greenman, Do you have more cartoons for us? We need our giggles for the week.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #49
Heron

Oh dear, worm wars!

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #50
Big Fat juicy WORM

Eq....I swear, I'm going to bring a chain saw and "trim" your tree! Leave me wormies alone.

Tags
2009, butterfly, definitions, discussion, gardeners, map, migration, milkweed, monarch, spring, started, wildlife