Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Default Editing Posts

Is there no way to edit posts anymore? Or is it possible to edit them only for a certain length of time?

I wanted to add a correction to a post and I can't now for some reason.

edit: I see that I can still edit this one, so I guess there is a time-frame when editing is possible.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Administrator

All members can edit posts for a day. If you have a correction you would like to add, Staff can take care of it for you or you can note the correction by posting in the thread again and referring to the post #.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

What about a limit of 3 posts per day no matter how old the posts are? That's how some sites do it.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Administrator

We considered that. We would like to try it this way for now as staff is limited. The spam decreased dramatically once we limited edits of posts to 1 day.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
All members can edit posts for a day
That would probably be fine for 99% of my purposes - usually I post and THEN see the misspelling or what have you

I did send a mail to the "contact us" about editing what turned out to be wrong information about a plant being a larval host -I can post the change on the thread too, but as it turns out the post is coming up on google searches, and it would be better if it were just edited to prevent further misinformation about this particular plant being spread.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Administrator

I see no one from Staff is on. I apologize for that. Please post your correction in the thread and I will go in and edit your older post.

The issue with allowing edits beyond a day was that spammers were going back into threads that were a few weeks old adding links to inappropriate content. We weren't finding the inappropriate content until a member stumbled upon it and reported it. Threads appear for us to review when a new post is added not when an existing post is edited.

You summed up why we chose to go with unlimited editing the first day. It is fine 99% of the time. We look forward to the day when we will have enough staff to be able to extend the edit time to two days or longer.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #7

Duh, sorry, I just re-read this and saw where I could post in the thread and refer to the post, I'll go do that. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
WG Staff

Has this been taken care of? Apologies for delay.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #9

Yes, thanks.

Tags
editing, posts