Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Unicellular Fungi

May I suggest a pollinator photo contest. Such a contest might attract new members who share our love for bees and butterflies as well as their native life plants.

Perhaps another DIY catch all contest might help also.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I liked Sages idea about mentioning contests in face book.
Increased membership!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I liked Sages idea about mentioning contests in face book.
Increased membership!
I didn't say that! Amelanchier was in charge of that but the WG FB account ended.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #14

There was talk of it in the thread mentioning having a burbex contest. I thought it was you but now see it was Equills suggestion to you to do so.
Quote:
Sage: There are groups for these categories on Flickr
Quote:
Equill: I'll just take on this contest and I'll even find a way cool prize for it IF..... YOU go and broadcast over at that Flickr Burbex pool place that we're having a Burbex contest over here

Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Flickr, not Facebook. Flickr are photographers, not necessarily Gardeners.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #16

Boy am I a flunky today, I didn't even catch it in the transfer. Well it "did" start with a big F! and I'm not even on any meds...

Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Flickr, not Facebook. Flickr are photographers, not necessarily Gardeners.
But you don't know what kind of hand you get until the dealing's done!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

River-
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
In terms of the original concept of a species count, I think that is a great idea. There could be a special tab broken into geographical regions, and each picture could then be tagged with species, time of year, where picture was taken, and in what environment if additional clarification is helpful. By this last comment I mean was the environment a backyard, an urban/rural natural area, a farm, National forest/park etc. Prizes could be given at this stage for geographical area, general species (birds, mammals, etc.), specific locations (backyard for example).
Productive suggestions. We can tag.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha.... MaggyNo comes along and says what I was thinking, "Like Equilibrium, it's not the prizes that make me enter a picture. I JUST WANT THE GLORY" I like that back and forth chatter that goes on about the photos too... it makes looking at the photos all the more fun!!
--
I'm defiitely for another DIY contest because I just flat out like getting blow by blow instructions with photos on how to do things.... I'm not mechanically inclined but I've got more of my own tools now and I've been into using them. I'd definitely be for a polinator photo contest.... there could be chatter too and that chatter could include getting IDs on anything we take photos of that we don't know what we've got. At 1st I was thinking that original idea of a year long contest for ANYTHING would be tough because well.... I live where we have 2 seasons.... construction and winter and that makes for taking photos year round tough and then in the back of my head was.... why reinvent the wheel when places like Audubon and Monarch Watch are already doing species counts but.... then I got to thinking of ditching the species count idea and doing bees the way River described and that totally seemed doable because even when ours start taking their winter naps.... people like turttle and Viceroy and scarecrow would still have them flitting about so now I'd even be game for that idea!!! I wouldn't want to judge it though.
--
Oh... for sure try to let the word out on any contests on facebook AND flickr thingies.... that's something nobody here has ever done before. There's a lot of folk out there who really do care about all the little critters!!!!

Tags
contest ideas, contest suggestions, contests, ideas, judge, judging, prizes, suggest, suggestions