Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #21
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ohhhhhh.... somebody took a 2nd look at the windchimes!!!
Must touch, shiny shiny.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #22
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

We drove over a hundred miles yesterday in two countries and I didn't see any pinecones!!! Aaaacccckkkk!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
We drove over a hundred miles yesterday in two countries and I didn't see any pinecones!!! Aaaacccckkkk!
Smile. I was wondering where I'd find some photogenic pine ones or acorns myself.

Are photos taken before the contest started eligible? ...although I'm not sure I have any there either.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #24

I think hava wanted to make us go outside NOW and take new ones!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I think hava wanted to make us go outside NOW and take new ones!
Sigh.

Where are the official rules?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #26
Official Plant Nerd

"I think hava wanted to make us go outside NOW and take new ones!" Eeeesh..... that's gonna be a tall order. Forget that it's like -3 outside by me right now..... this is sorta the wrong time of year. Look around.... see any acorns or nuts? How about pine cones? Most of the fruiting trees dropped and about the only thing clinging out there that I can see are buckthorn berries and those will be gone sooner or later because the birds will start eating them out of sheer desperation. There's very few pine cones left clinging to boughs because of winds and.... squirrels have been working on what's left. I'm thinking the start of this contest really should be put waaaaaay off otherwise the only contestants would be people like me who have files for educational purposes and keying they can dip into.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Sigh.

Where are the official rules?
. Whatever hava says they are!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

YEY! The more the merrier..... Dapjwy has jumped in!

Dapjwy: The contest hasn't yet officially started so the rules have not been set into place. (It's been suggested we hold off until Will-O-wisp gets herself a better camera) Once we get the ball on the road, previous photos "would" be eligible although getting out during the Winter months is also encouraged.

Willo: Have you by chance read any of the the camera threads to aid in your search? They helped me out a LOT!

Sage...What's this I'm seeing...You haven't seen any pine cones from your vehicle? Have you tried binoculars...Any evergreens around your buildings? stores? lakes? They are hanging all around in this neck of the woods.
As far as the other objects I had mentioned as possible prizes, Think...... Towel rack... artsy and natural enough looking to hang outside with little findings dangling and swinging in the breeze (Kokedama balls, shells, stones, leaves, whatever...) OR perhaps as a key rack, a belt, tie, purse or scarf hanger and the leaves, they themselves lend to wind play when hung. You must take your thinking outside the box.

Well anyway back to the prizes...I am swinging more towards the "specific prize" mentioned and shipping it off to the winner at the end of the contest. "IF" in the meantime the inventory runs out.. We'll cross the bridge when and if it happens. Meanwhile...Lets hope to gather up a few more players along the way to go for the TRIO!!!! Whoop whoop!! They're not in short demand and we all like those so much better!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
... Look around.... see any acorns or nuts? How about pine cones? ...
I think pine ones won't be so hard to find this time of year, but I'm not expecting many acorns. That is why I was wondering about using photos we've already taken.

So what say you havalotta?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #30
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
If you want me to judge instead that's fine since I don't have a decent camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Nooooo Thanks for offering, but what we need for such a contest to take place is........
MORE players to cover at least "one" of the chimes to begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WG Admin View Post
I'll judge.

Let's fire up this contest after Will-o-wisp has a camera.
Havalotta-

Who is judging this contest; me or you?
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acornpinecone, acorns, contest, photo, photos, pine cones, related