Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
Administrator

Default Font style and size

We contacted several people we knew were visually impaired and asked them which font and size would work best for them when viewing the forums. Their feedback resulted in the forum default being Verdana at 2. Many of you use aids to enable you to read threads. Will you provide us with feedback about how this font is working for you if you are visually impaired?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Too Wild To Garden

Here is a tip for anyone in need of a larger (or smaller) font size on most webpages: hold down "ctrl" while turning your mouse wheel. This will scale the font up or down depending on the direction you spin the wheel.

It's also a good idea to memorize how to do this for those occasions when you accidentally do it and need to revert your font back to a reasonable size.

I don't know if there is a way to do this without a mouse-wheel, though.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
WG Guardian Spirit

In Internet Explorer, you look under the "view" dropdown menu to "text size" and select the size you want. It has varied results, though (on this thread, it's only affecting the first post, for example).
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Though I can see with glasses, I see through seventy y/o old eyes with vision and retinal issues and the very low contrast of this font color against the green is difficult. I would think everyone knows how to change the default font size on their own computers and maybe screen brightness but that doesn't really help with WG low contrast, pleasing though it is. I just deal with it.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
WG Operations, Facilitator

I use Firefox for my browser. I click on the view menu and select text size, increase. Increase can be selected multiple times to make the fonts bigger and bigger. Works well for me.

I also have an oversized wide screen monitor and that really really helps!

BooBooBearBecky
Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Here is a tip for anyone in need of a larger (or smaller) font size on most webpages: hold down "ctrl" while turning your mouse wheel. This will scale the font up or down depending on the direction you spin the wheel.
Good tip.

We had tough decisions to make since we were starting from scratch. We knew there would be many visually impaired members. Glaucoma, Cataracts, Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, RP, and Detached Retina sufferers evidently read best with a high contrast of white font on black when they are not using an aid. We trialed the high contrast white font on black. Big thumbs down. Next options were enhanced contrast which they ultimately chose and high contrast black on white. The stark black on white was too much for our testers who were using aids. They favored the enhanced contrast which was stated to be easier on the eyes for longer periods of time. From there a color scheme needed to be selected. That was not easy.

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer both enhanced and high contrast. We would love to but we can't. We may be able to offer another enhanced theme in a sand color and possibly a blue in the future. We would need to find out how many users would be interested before we hired a professional to create this option to our existing skins and templates.

Other concerns we ran up against were the availability of colored fonts and smilies. They came with our software. When using a lighter color such as yellow or pink, the print becomes virtually unreadable to members with visual impairments. When using an aid, the smilies jump out at the viewer. Color options were left in place with the hopes members would use them with discretion. A basic smilie package was left to allow access to the caution symbol in the event a member wanted to warn others that the content of a thread might be graphic. Nature can be messy.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

I do not like the white on black at all. They can say it is the best but they probably haven't used it themselves. Take a look at all the sites trying to sell visual aids because they sure aren't using the white on black. For fonts I like arial or tahoma at 3 but that's just me. I use a SenseView. They don't work with cameras.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I agree about black on white. Hurts the eyes!

This is a similar very successful forum with black on blue. It's easy on the eyes and seems to have a bit more contrast, if you're looking for options.

Maine Bald Eagle Cam Discussion
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

I like that one. I also like the black on gray I see out there. The black on white gives me a headache.

adding this to show black on gray and what a SenseView is-
http://www.gwmicro.com/CCTV/SenseView/

If anyone has problems reading labels or books with your glasses you need to try to get a SenseView.

Last edited by TheLorax; 03-04-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: adding link to black on gray
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
WG Writer

I like what we have now but then I have no issues. I grew up nearsighted! I wear glasses only to drive and watch tv.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font, size, style