Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #51
Pope

I just sent them an email to their general contact address. I asked about soil conditions and where they got their plants. We'll see what happens!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #52
Pope

I found a mail order source here in Virginia, Lazy S'S Farm. I think I'll try it this fall. Paxistima canbyi**** -**** Mountain Lover
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #53
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
Chinkapin Oak are native to the deciduous-forest and rolling-hills area of southeast Minnesota, in the area of Wisconsin and northeast Iowa, but not in my prairie area in west central Minnesota. But the dwarf chinkapin would be the perfect tree in every other respect!
Thanks, BeeWonderful.

Somehow, I couldn't find the new messages in this thread although I knew they were there somewhere (I view things throught he hybrid mode), so I had to switch to linear mode and finally saw your response.

I have ideas for where to plant them...I would like to plant things with companion plants that would normally be found in that plant community. I hope whatever I do looks natural...I have certain places I want to plant them because of their height, so hopefully what I end up with will look good. Most likely they will be on a hillside (among other places) with some hazelnut. Height-wise and "landscape-wise" it seems like a good match, but not sure it is "right". I'll also have them on the edge of the woodland and in the hedgerow(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
After your post I looked into it a bit and it sounds perfect for my size yard. Unfortunately I wouldn't plant it since it is not native "enough" if you know what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercarver View Post
I'm tempted to try it in a garden I'm designing for someone else, but I'm a bit worried about the "prefers calciferous soils" bit: everywhere around me is pretty acidic, so I'm wondering how it will do. Does anyone else out there have experience growing this plant?
(I'm glad I'm finding these "hidden" posts.)

I've never grown it (I had to look it up, actually), but I'm thinking that cement foundations, driveways, or sidewalks might leach enough into the soil to act as calciferous soils would be. Just a thought, maybe someone with more knowledge on this than I can advise.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #55

Quote:
Thanks dap! Didn't mean to be powerful - just felt ashamed about what happened to the pigeons.
Well, it is nice to be reminded why we are doing this in the first place...or a nice side-effect of wanting to keep the beauty of nature close to us.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #56
Pope

Quote:
Thanks sprucetree - I didn't know any of this (in fact, I didn't realize that pagoda dogwood and alternate leaf dogwood were the same plant!). I think this is a very interesting lesson in why common names are tricky - especially since we are all (even us savvy native gardeners!) such suckers for language. Landscapers changed the name of Cornus alternifolia to pagoda dogwood probably to suggest exotic landscapes - a plus for conventional gardeners, and a minus for us WG's.

Another native with a marketing problem is Paxistima canbyi. It's common name is Rat stripper (try googling THAT - some VEERRY interesting random stuff comes up) - goodness knows who came up with that and why. It turns out to be a perfectly nice evergreen groundcover that likes calcerous soils.

Sara Stein used to come up with her own common names for things when she didn't like the conventional ones. She particularly disliked things being called "false" this or that - as if the plant was trying to impersonate something else. I remember she called "false Solomon's seal" (Smilacina racemosa) "Solomon's plume" instead, because of the shape of its flowers. Much nicer and more descriptive.

I think it's poignant that c. alternifolia was Pigeon-wood for its favor by the passenger pigeon and that's the common name I'll try to use from now on. Maybe it will remind me why I'm planting these things in the first place.
Papercarver, I received a response from Bill Cullina at the Maine Botanical Gardens regarding the Paxistima, rat stripper. I'll try to copy and paste it.

Greetings
In response to your email, we have not found that paxistima needs calcareous soil though or soil in the gardens is not extremely acidic (pH 6 or so). ****We received plants from Prides Corner farms in Lebanon CT. ****Then are one of the larger wholesale nurseries in new england and supply many ****garden centers from maine to new jersey. ****Not sure if they are carrying it this year.
Best
Bill

Bill Cullina
Executive Director
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
132 Botanical Gardens Dr.
Boothbay, Maine 04537
cell (207)380-546
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #57
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Papercarver, I received a response from Bill Cullina at the Maine Botanical Gardens regarding the Paxistima, rat stripper. I'll try to copy and paste it.

Greetings
In response to your email, we have not found that paxistima needs calcareous soil though or soil in the gardens is not extremely acidic (pH 6 or so). ****We received plants from Prides Corner farms in Lebanon CT. ****Then are one of the larger wholesale nurseries in new england and supply many ****garden centers from maine to new jersey. ****Not sure if they are carrying it this year.
Best
Bill

Bill Cullina
Executive Director
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
132 Botanical Gardens Dr.
Boothbay, Maine 04537
cell (207)380-546
Hah! Thanks VERY much for this Hedge - based on this discussion, I wanted to try this plant in a garden that I'm designing in Ipswich, MA and I had just started researching it and where to find it. The the ph info plus the nursery reference is a big help!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #58
Pope

Happy to help. Please let us know how your project goes!

Tags
10am, april, doug, doug tallamy, free, lecture, massachusetts, native plants, natives, naturalist, nature, newbury, saturday, talk, tallamy