Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
Co-Administrator

There is one other scenario that I can think of that might cause this kind of situation.

Someone comes to Wildlife Gardeners and clicks on a link to Amazon. They place items A, B, and C in their cart. But then they remember that they have to run a quick errand, so they leave the Amazon website.

Later, they come back and decide to complete their order. They go directly to the Amazon website (they don't come to Wildlife Gardeners first and click on an Amazon link here). While at the Amazon website they think of two more things that they want to purchase, so they add items D and E to their cart. Then they complete their purchase of all 5 items.

In the situation that I described above, only items A, B, and C would be eligible for the Wildlife Gardeners affiliate program (WG would get a commission). Items D and E are not eligible (no commission for WG) since the purchase of those items did not start with a link from Wildlife Gardeners.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I tried to be very careful about that to the degree that I redid the order totally after deciding on the books by returning to WG, getting link, completing purchase.

If you can find out what types of purchases might not be eligible, or anything else we should know it would be helpful. This is a great way to contribute but I am wondering whether it's a gimmick for Amazon to get more orders, if they do not pay the commission on all items purchased through the WG link, for example. And is the commission just on books?

Another thought - the book WG received commission on was a hardcover; the other two were Trade Paperbacks. Maybe that's the loophole.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #13
Co-Administrator

Quote:
If you can find out what types of purchases might not be eligible, or anything else we should know it would be helpful. This is a great way to contribute but I am wondering whether it's a gimmick for Amazon to get more orders, if they do not pay the commission on all items purchased through the WG link, for example. And is the commission just on books?
As you know Amazon sells an incredible number of items, so there is no master list of eligible items to check. Amazon is quite upfront about the fact that the commissions do not apply to all items. A lot of third party sellers do not participate in the program, an not all of Amazon's items are included. But we have received commissions for books, popcorn poppers, and some kind of pet deshedding tool. So a wide variety of items are included. We did some test purchases by our staff personnel and almost every item earned a commission for WG.

We wouldn't suggest that anyone buy something from Amazon with the sole purpose of earning a commission for WG. But we know that a lot of people like the convenience of online shopping, and Amazon's prices are usually competitive. We joined the affiliate program so that those that like to shop at Amazon could provide a benefit to WG when doing their shopping there.

All of the prices, special deals and service are the same; the only thing that is different is that the purchaser comes to WG first and clicks on an Amazon link here to go to the Amazon website. The purchaser doesn't have to worry about which items are included in the program. All of that is sorted out automatically by Amazon.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
WG Writer

Where will the link be--or do I have to search for this thread?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #15

Yes, hazelnut, it's important that it be easy to find. Can't it appear at the top or bottom of every page? Or maybe we can actually store it on our toolbars? I can't even find the link on THIS thread.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Where will the link be--or do I have to search for this thread?
There's a link at the bottom of the first post in this thread. This thread is a "sticky", so it's always in the first four threads listed in this forum. Another easy way to locate it would be to bookmark this thread or if you are using Internet Explorer place it in your favorites list.

Quote:
Quote Sage: Can't it appear at the top or bottom of every page? Or maybe we can actually store it on our toolbars? I can't even find the link on THIS thread.
You can use any link to to Amazon on Wildlife Gardeners. There are literally hundreds of links in the WG Library forum. Every book there has an Amazon link.

We are reluctant to place a link at the top or bottom of each page. We just felt it would clutter up our forum pages, and it could become annoying to our members. If people continue to have difficulty finding a link to Amazon we may reconsider this.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
WG Operations, Facilitator

I purchased the Stir Crazy popcorn popper, and the pet deshedding tool (The Furminator). Glad to hear that everything went ok and WildlifeGardeners received their credit!

Everyone, this is soooooo easy to do. Circsium is right, just click on any Amazon link here in any of our forums and make your Amazon purchases, It's very easy to do.

Heres a link to the Book Discussion Forum where the majority of the amazon links are located.

Book Discussion Forum

Use any Amazon link in the Book Discussion Forum as your launching point to shop at Amazon.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
WG Writer

I buy alot on Amazon -- it makes me feel like Im back in New York City with the world's products available to me. Ive made purchases since this thread was posted. I just didn't know how to get back to the link, and then forgot about doing it altogether.

So I think some kind of constant reminder so that it is readily available would insure that people use it.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #19
WG Writer

How about on the home page where it says: Control Panel. Welcome back Hazelnut. Then everyone would know where it is and would only have to remember to use it.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #20

Agree, hazelnut. It's an easy way to help but it should be equally easy to do.

Tags
amazon, amazon link, amazon.com, associates, books, buy, christmas shopping, donation, financial, gardeners, gifts, llc, program, services, shop, shopping, support, wildlife, wildlife gardeners