Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Big Fat juicy WORM

I'm assuming we will be including veggies as well????? I will be happy to help any way I can.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

No help here with the design part, but count me in for any "flunky" work - data entry, proof-reading, etc, and anything you can explain how to do.

Last edited by biigblueyes; 01-04-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling - so much for proof-reading skills, ehhhh?
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #13
Big Fat juicy WORM

Well, how about
Latin Name including Family, genus, specie
Type: Annual, Perennial etc
Native or Not
How it's pollinated
Planting info-spacing, height of full grown plant
Growing requirements-full sun, partial shade, etc
Days to Maturity
Any danger? Is any part of the plant or seeds poisonous to human/animals?
Seed propagation: How do I grow more than one?
Seed collection: How do I harvest what I've grown?
Color of the bloom:
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
WG Staff

They have begun to work on this. Starting threads with photos of plants will be a big help when designing the new database. For the time being, we would like to encourage the following:

When starting a thread, please add an * to the beginning of any thread you start that you would like to be included in our database. This way we will easily be able to identify all threads that will need to be incorporated into the new feature.

photos of native plants
start thread using the scientific name of the plant plus any known common names in this area, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...splay.php?f=51

photos of invasive plants
start thread using the scientific name of the plant plus any known common names in this area, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...splay.php?f=64

photos of vegetables
Start a thread using the scientific name if you know it othewise common name is perfectly acceptable, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...splay.php?f=36

photos of tomatoes, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...splay.php?f=35

photos of fruits and nuts, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...splay.php?f=32

Please bear with us as we begin the process of creating this database.
Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
WG Plants Database Coordinator

I'll contribute photos and information on native and invasive plants. Is this going to be a different part of the site from the photo albums? I think I've been a little confused by this.
kzoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

I'll start a thread in Native Plants.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Grub

How are we defining native? The question comes to mind as plants that are native in one place, move away to another, and then become naturalized. I'm not sure where that happens. Who decides a plant is native in this area, but naturalized elsewhere. Or, am I getting confused. Is naturalized only used for what happens when non-natives gently move into an area.. Another issue that will arise over the years is the northern migration of native southern native plants due to climate change occurs. Does that make them now native plants in their new area ?
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
Administrator

You raise very good questions and those will be addressed by the members who will be helping with the design.

Naturalized is a term almost exclusively used for non-native plants that have gotten a foothold in the environment.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #19
Grub

FW, to make my question clear, I'll also make it outlandish! If a NH native alpine plant like the rare yellow cinquefoil were transplanted to Florida, liked the warm weather, and naturalized, would it be considered a FL native plant or a native that naturalized?
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
Administrator

It would be a weed in FL

Tags
database, native, plants