Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Fox

It seems to me that leaving a spammer's info exposed is more a case of poetic justice than punishment. Having a spammer get spammed by another spammer is actually too little punishment in my opinion.

Administrators/staff - Thank you for all the work that you do to keep these forums free of spam!!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
Too Wild To Garden

Admin, I don't have access to the same information that you do. All I have to go on is your word that the address above belongs to a spammer. It wigs me out to see an admin posting such information, and I may not be the only one who feels this way. Do you want to frighten off potential members?
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #13
Administrator

It has been clearly stated WG has no intentions of sharing personally identifiable information about banned members. We list them as being too wild to garden. It is common knowledge some webmasters plug a username plus the word banned or removed into a search engine to help determine whether to approve a new member or not. This type of a search rarely produces the IP address associated with the former member and is therefore frequently not capable of differentiating between the many unique users sharing the same username. Substituting too wild to garden for the more commonly used banned/removed gives a banned WG member a better chance of finding a forum more consistent with how they like to post without blacklisting them as having been removed or banned. Wildlife Gardeners isn't going to be for everyone.

On the offshot the email address was plugged in to attempt to gain unauthorized access to our site (highly unlikely with all the throw away email addresses available), a real human being associated with the address now has a heads up their email address may be being used to phish or spoof. That individual is now in a position to take action. We wish we had the time and manpower to share IP's to each and every dictionary attacker, SQL injection, script kiddy, spammer, content scraper, brut force attacker, harvester, and mail server we have identified and blocked but we don't.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

"I'm sure all of the nice people in Moscow are dying to know about our gardening habits." Riiiiiiiiiiiight, Keep them out please!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
Big Fat juicy WORM

Quote:
I'm sure all of the nice people in Moscow are dying to know about our gardening habits.
Perhaps they want to share vodka?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

They probably want to sell us Vodka.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
Grub

I am greatful to have found a wonderful site, run by people who genuinely love to garden and appreciate wildlife. I applaude whatever efforts you make at keeping this website and us members safe from spam and hackers.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
WG Staff

Quote:
I am greatful to have found a wonderful site, run by people who genuinely love to garden and appreciate wildlife.
Thank you bigbike4. We are glad you found us and many are enjoying your enthusiasm for the natural world.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #19
Carbon

I'm new here, but I appreciate the efforts being made to keep this site spam free.
mrimomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #20
Big Fat juicy WORM

Quote:
They probably want to sell us Vodka.
Hmm, could be......LOL

Tags
added, process, question, registration