Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I'm thinking that maybe we should start a thread for fundraising suggestions. I had to search for this thread and then remember that it was the right place for this kind of discussion.

I just wanted to add a suggestion: a native plant and/or wildlife coloring book. I've been wanting to do this for years--well, it started that I wanted to buy one, then I started wanting to make one. I think havalotta was playing around with that.

I was going through the photos I took today of birds coming to my feeder, and decided to play with the "drawing/sketch" tool/filter thingy. That would allow us a good start for converting some or our own photographs into coloring book like drawings--however, more would need to be done to allow for less detail and more white spaces for coloring. Just a thought.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #42
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy.... I really LOVE that 1st t-shirt with Wildlife Gardeners letters all made out of photos!!!! That is like way cool. I think.... not positive since I had to be bored to death listening to logo discussions at work that your 2nd idea won't fly because of copyright "issues". I don't think the colors of logos can ever be changed and they can't be "stretched" or "embellished" in any way. From what I've picked up.... logos have to be used "as is" but.... better check that out with someone who knows more about logos than me.... I'm just at some of those meetings for the "ride" if ya know what I mean.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #43
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I like the photo montage as well, but it could be pretty expensive with all those colors, not to mention getting permission to use them, resolution issues, etc. It's also a little difficult to read. I'm currently waiting on WG Admin to get a copy of the original artwork for me and then go from there.

I did start looking at online companies that make calendars, most of them are pretty expensive but I found a good deal with Vistaprint. I experimented with their website uploading one of my photos just to see what it would look like. I do like the fact that you can buy one or 100, there's just a $3 first time upload fee. They would be about $8 a pop, much less expensive than the other sites I visited - $20 each is common.

I'll keep you updated!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #44
Official Plant Nerd

You can for sure count me in for a calendar!!!
--
Dappy's.... or anyone's idea could work for cheap if.... just the iron on was offered, TRANSFER PAPER - IRON ON INKJET & LASER HEAT TRANSFER PAPER - FOR ALL PRINTER TYPES!. I can't do it because I don't have any color cartridges for my printer.... it's over 10 years old and they're not selling ink for my make anymore but.... I used my printer when the kids were little. Those iron-ons really did work and the color was great and they held up pretty good in the washer too. They'd be to help out here so I don't see why you couldn't charge $10 a piece for an iron on. The cost to mail out an iron on would be whatever a large envelope would be instead of a whole package containing a t-shirt or whatever which would mean more $$$ to use for whatever around here. The only thing is.... we'd have to provide our own t-shirts or totes or whatever and iron em on ourselves which.... I swear wasn't hard at all.
--
I looked at my notes from Cub Scouts. The sewing machine that embroiders was a Bernina and the phone number I had for her isn't in service anymore. We found her at a sewing center and she had an emroidery sewing machine that could make sew-on pack patches for our kids for like $3 each x 8 kids. I was the den leader and I remember looking around online and ran into quantity problems. We only needed 8 patches and the online places had minimums and were a lot more expensive once we added in the set-up charge and the shipping and handling +... we woulda ended up with a lot more patches than we needed. There's gotta be more people out their with side businesses or who are jut into embroidering who have these fancy sewing machines now. We just gave the lady we found a drawing of what we wanted and she did it. I'd think that could work for a polo shirt or a viser just using the logo... no? Only thing is.... we'd have to sew it on ourselves though. Any sewing machine that can sew through jean material can sew on a patch and.... there's always the old way... by hand.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #45
Official Plant Nerd

Oh oh oh.... if you're gonna be selling anything on eBay or where ever to make $$$.... count me in for shipping out this rabbit door stop... I'm tired of moving it around and it's just something else I need to rid of chicken dust because of the chicks I've got in the living room. It does have some wear on it and I would definitely clean it up but... you could charge whoever gets it the cost of actual shipping and I'd kick that in for standard ground and mail it out well packed. That would mean you'd get whatever it sold for + the cost of shipping for here. I'm sure I can find other "stuff" just sitting around here collecting dust that might help bring in $$$ here.
Attached Thumbnails
Management team announcement-img_2086.jpg  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Like the tee-shirt--and the other ideas. I need to check this thread more often.
Thank you, Rebek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Aha! Now we know your secret, your art school background! Very cool idea, but the owl stays! Lorax said! But I like the idea!
Smile...no big secret. I may have mentioned it before. ...and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a background in art. So, stop all of those wheels turning in your head...I sense another "assignment" brewing.

I'm glad you like the idea. I'm all for the owl staying on the logo, but not necessarily on the T-shirt design itself...although, I could see more plant photos inside the words, and various critters perched on crawling on the words (just a few so as not to overwhelm the design.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #47
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

dap, it's like when I had little ones in school and at a PTA meeting, the one in charge asked "Who can make a poster?" and I raised my hand. OMG! I learned my lesson!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy.... I really LOVE that 1st t-shirt with Wildlife Gardeners letters all made out of photos!!!! That is like way cool. I think.... not positive since I had to be bored to death listening to logo discussions at work that your 2nd idea won't fly because of copyright "issues". I don't think the colors of logos can ever be changed and they can't be "stretched" or "embellished" in any way. From what I've picked up.... logos have to be used "as is" but.... better check that out with someone who knows more about logos than me.... I'm just at some of those meeting for the "ride" if ya know what I mean.
Thanks, Equil.

As for the logo, I am not suggesting we change it...I am trying to create a T-shirt design. I think just slapping the logo on a T-shirt could work, but an original design would be better in my opinion. Even if it ere just the words "got wildlife?" (Which I am not recommending.)...the logo and website address could go below the design.

I like the idea of the logo alone on a baseball cap.

If using the same letters as the logo is actually an issue, then a different font can be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I like the photo montage as well, but it could be pretty expensive with all those colors, not to mention getting permission to use them, resolution issues, etc. It's also a little difficult to read. I'm currently waiting on WG Admin to get a copy of the original artwork for me and then go from there.

I did start looking at online companies that make calendars, most of them are pretty expensive but I found a good deal with Vistaprint. I experimented with their website uploading one of my photos just to see what it would look like. I do like the fact that you can buy one or 100, there's just a $3 first time upload fee. They would be about $8 a pop, much less expensive than the other sites I visited - $20 each is common.

I'll keep you updated!
I like the idea behind the design as well...that is a mock up, not the final design. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I created that instead if trying to describe the idea and having everyone imagine something different. I have another idea that I've yet to mock up...and I'm sure other people may want to submit there own creations. Nothing is set in stone...but I was concerned about cost. Back in the day, I understand they had to do so much with separating each color, but I'm assuming technology has advanced, so I'm hoping printing full color printing is common now and not a big issue...but I'm sure it is still more expensive.

Great price for the T-shirts though.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
dap, it's like when I had little ones in school and at a PTA meeting, the one in charge asked "Who can make a poster?" and I raised my hand. OMG! I learned my lesson!
Lol!!! . Good one.

...but, hmmm...sounds like you have an art background too! If you can design a poster you can design a tee shirt! Looks like you just raised your hand again!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
... not to mention getting permission to use them...
I got distracted while posting and just realized I hadn't addressed this...so far all of the photos used were my own...I'd give permission for use like that. Now if we wanted other members photos included, then getting permission from each would be an issue.

...but again, no one has decided that that will be the design chosen. I'm hoping to have more than one option to choose from.

Tags
announce, announcement, calendar, caps, fund, logo, manage, management, motto, print, printing, raising, sell, selling, t-shirts, team