Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Default Hurricane Sandy

My wife is opening our home.

PM me if you need temporary refuge from Hurricane Sandy.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
1st Place Winner DIY Catchall Contest

That is extremely nice of you!
Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Great idea! Where are you?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Good luck to all of you in the path of Sandy. Let's pray that it isn't as bad as they are predicting.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Yes, I certainly hope it's just a heavy rain and a bit of wind and everyone is safe~
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Good luck to all of you in the path of Sandy. Let's pray that it isn't as bad as they are predicting.
I agree on both accounts...hope all will be safe and hope it won't be as bad as it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Yes, I certainly hope it's just a heavy rain and a bit of wind and everyone is safe~
I've never experienced anything like this. We went through the backyard and put things away that could be blown about, lost, or worse become projectiles. Something we should've done already anyway.

We have water to drink and some for flushing toilets if we lose power (well water here)...then again there should be plenty of water for that...assuming we can leave buckets out in the rain.

I've really just been expecting lots of rain and strong winds...hope we don't end up with a lot of damage or no power for days on end. Hang in there everyone.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Rock Star

I took the dogs out for a very brief walk this morning and already the winds are picking up. Light rain also.

I did a major cut back in the garden over the last few days, much more then I would normally do. Lots of heavy vines on trellises that I couldn't take a chance with.
I hope it's not as bad as last years storm, no power or water for a few days, no drinkable water for over a week.
I hope everyone in Sandy's path is safe.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

I feel for all of you out east.... I really do. I'm feeling it in my bones that it's gonna get ugly out your way. I've seen how shelves can get wiped out in the blink of an eye and how aggressive some folk can get and then there's all the looting that goes on after a disaster. Here's hoping everyone has enough supplies so they can "stay put" out of harm's way or has a place to run to if the going gets tough. Just hearing the word "flood" sends shivers down my spine since trees topple over... roads become impassable and.... we all lose power.
--
WG Admin> I totally agree it was really nice opening up your house.... there's not many places that can take in people and their pets!!!! You rock!!!

Not to be a fear mongerer but.... http://cryptome.org/eyeball/npp/nuke-map2.jpg. We haven't exactly been keeping up with our infrastructure and I've been wondering whether those plants were built to withstand a storm system the likes of what's headed our way.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 10-29-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
WG Facilitator

Stay safe, everyone.
That's very generous of you, Admin. If you keep that up, someone will change your rotten tomato avator to a guy in a white hat!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
The Bug Whisperer

Snowing here this morning, but no wind so far. Good fire going in the fireplace, plenty of fuel for the generator (just in case), and plenty of food in the pantry. Only glitch so far is a balky modem - can't get online at home, so am spending a bit of time at our local library...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, sandy