Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #51
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
...I feel very fortunate to have no real losses, except for spoiled food and time...
That is a great way to look at it. Considering what others are still going through, losing food and even that much time seems more managable.

Quote:
Did anyone hear from Bridget? She is in a very vulnerable hard hit area near Atlantic City.
I think the noreaster did more damage to the coast.
I've not seen any recent posts from her aside from when she first checked in. I have a feeling she has a LOT to deal with right now. I is heartbreaking and hard to fathom what so many people are going through.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #52
Rock Star

There was also a positive side to this whole disaster. Neighbors you didn't even know offered help to one another. Friends were invaluable, and there were many kind offers, like the one to open their house by Admin and others that really made you realize how wonderful people can be.
Some people are at their best when tested the most.
It makes me want to do better to met their generosity.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #53
Official Plant Nerd

I know what you mean about having neighbors who are "neighborly". Where I came from.... there was a sense of community. Where I live now... it doesn't exist. I miss it.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #54
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Will-o-wisp:
I am doing fine, thanks. I am sorry you went 10 days without power. How did you stay warm?

Quote:
Bridget how are you.? The damage looks bad in Altantic city and the noreasterner is hitting now on top of everything.

I just got power back today at 4pm, about 10 days but otherwise am ok.
Still over 200,000 in my area without power. Lots of trees down on houses and cars but we were lucky and did not get hit.
I hope everyone makes it through the new storm safely.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #55
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I am doing okay here in Ventnor. I rent the 2nd floor of a house, so the only damage I had was a refrigerator full of spoiled food and tons of debris in my garden. Not sure how my perennials have fared, but they are all replaceable.

My neighborhood looks like something I saw on tv after Katrina. Piles and piles of furniture, carpets, mattresses, clothes and much more is everywhere. Ventnor City hired outside haulers to come in and pick up the extra garbage, but they haven't made a dent yet. The trash truck came through the other day on my street, but you'd never know it. Now those piles of debris are replaces with wood, dry wall, plaster, insulation and more. As I walk my dog Scruffy through the neighborhood and I see my neighbors, their weak smiles make my heart break. I am helping a neighbor today who lost everything. It doesn't feel like enough. The stories of loss are getting more and more difficult to hear.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #56

Quote:
There was also a positive side to this whole disaster. Neighbors you didn't even know offered help to one another. Friends were invaluable, and there were many kind offers, like the one to open their house by Admin and others that really made you realize how wonderful people can be.
Some people are at their best when tested the most.
It makes me want to do better to met their generosity.
Will-o, thank you for sharing this. It does the heart good to hear it...and, hopefully, will make us all want to step up to that challenge. Your comment really meant a lot to me.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
I am doing okay here in Ventnor. I rent the 2nd floor of a house, so the only damage I had was a refrigerator full of spoiled food and tons of debris in my garden. Not sure how my perennials have fared, but they are all replaceable.

My neighborhood looks like something I saw on tv after Katrina... As I walk my dog Scruffy through the neighborhood and I see my neighbors, their weak smiles make my heart break. I am helping a neighbor today who lost everything. It doesn't feel like enough. The stories of loss are getting more and more difficult to hear.
Mary Bridget, as horrendous as things are, I'm so glad that things aren't so much worse for you--I imagined far worse. Thanks for the update. Hearing personal stories and perspectives here make it more tangible for me.

~hugs~
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #58
Salamander

rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Mary Bridget, as horrendous as things are, I'm so glad that things aren't so much worse for you--I imagined far worse. Thanks for the update. Hearing personal stories and perspectives here make it more tangible for me.

~hugs~
Hugs from me, too, Bridget, Will 'o Wisp, Suunto(?) and so many others impacted by these storms. We count our blessings every day and try not to take anything for granted and I particularly send my best wishes your way!
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #59
Rock Star

Glad your ok Bridget. Let us know if there is a way to help your community.

Thanks for all the caring and support from this community.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #60
The Bug Whisperer

Caver friends of mine in NJ and NYC also suffered severe property damage, much of it not covered by insurance, from the storm. But as in Will 'o Wisp's case, they have neighbors, friends, and relatives pitching to help. We were very, very fortunate here to have just been 'brushed' by Sandy; but we were prepared none the less...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, sandy