Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Forbs (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/forbs/)
-   -   Native Mimosa (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/forbs/7071-native-mimosa.html)

MrILoveTheAnts 09-13-2010 01:29 PM

Native Mimosa

Mimosa USDA

Okay, how did this happen? How do we have several dozen native Mimosas and no one is selling them?

Mimosa microphylla has a gorgeous pink puff ball of a flower. The leaves are sensitive to the touch, they actually cruel back like so many novelty plants plants being sold. The only real downside I see is they're short 3 to 6 feet long vines that are covered in thorns.

Mimosa nuttallii is another one with a huge large range. Lots of pretty flowers, still covered in thorns though.

But again low growing herbaceous perennial, brilliant hot pink flower that's way prettier than the nonnative tree Mimosa, and they're native according to every source I've found so far on the internet. How did this little jewel escape the native plant nursery market?

Gloria 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

Nice pollinator plant. I see the distribution maps include Illinois.

MrILoveTheAnts 09-13-2010 11:59 PM

Schrankia uncinata! They changed the name at some point! That's why I can't find this thing anywhere!

Now I wonder who is correct though? Schrankia or Mimosa?

Birding Bunch 08-28-2014 03:00 PM

I was just reading about this plant on a blog, so started searching for a species suitable to our area. What a trial with all the synonyms. I finally went up to the genus on the USDA site and found mimosa nuttallii. It has two other Latin names. From what I read on it, it is a very prickly climber. Maybe this is why it is not sold??

I am not sure I could get it to grow here without adding sand to the soil. We have clay. :(

dapjwy 08-29-2014 10:50 PM

Hmm...I've grown "sensitive plant" as a houseplant for the past two years. I grew it from seed, and it bloomed pink. I even got a few seeds from it (I tried to pollinate it, and either I was successful or it did it itself). I still have the first one...it made it through the winter (indoor plant, remember), but I had to cut it back after it died back. It looks like it will bloom again..,and the new one will too.

Not sure if it is the same species or not...but from the map, it looks like its native range is more south than here.

biigblueyes 09-02-2014 09:15 PM

I was not prepared for that - the mimosa I know and love is a tree.

Birding Bunch 09-04-2014 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 148261)
Hmm...I've grown "sensitive plant" as a houseplant for the past two years. I grew it from seed, and it bloomed pink. I even got a few seeds from it (I tried to pollinate it, and either I was successful or it did it itself). I still have the first one...it made it through the winter (indoor plant, remember), but I had to cut it back after it died back. It looks like it will bloom again..,and the new one will too.

Hmm... this sounds interesting. Where did you get the seeds from and does it take a lot of care?

I have to admit, when it comes to houseplants, we just do not get along. I created this to get printed and it will be hung in a prominent location for all visitors to see.
Attachment 41542

If you notice the grammatical error, please don't point it out. I actually typed it in correctly the first time, but then questioned it, so changed it to what is now an error. :(

People come over, they don't see houseplants, so think I need them. I was given at least three last year and the one I least liked is the one that survived. I call it an indoor weed- philodendron. I gave it a haircut. A simple whack that cut off six or more feet. I am too lazy to tack that thing up the wall and around the ceiling.

I bought a small leafed ivy and African violet this spring, they're dying.

An amazing thing is I've kept a Christmas cactus alive, even with a transplant. :hiphiphooray

dapjwy 09-04-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birding Bunch (Post 148369)
Hmm... this sounds interesting. Where did you get the seeds from and does it take a lot of care?

It is a cool plant. Jeff loves it! :) We actually bought a small seedling probably 15 years ago or more at a greenhouse. It didn't last long.

A couple of years ago, I spotted the seeds in the spring at a local nursery. It was among the vegetable seeds and flower seeds one tends to see that time of year. I think they did have some more unusual things. I grabbed it along with whatever vegetable seeds I was buying that year.

The seed packet said to soak the seeds in very hot water (I vaguely think it said boiling...but that is hard for me to believe...I think it would kill them/cook them). After 24 hours, just plant them as normal seeds. I put them in a very sunny window. They really seemed to like that location.

I'd planted them early enough so that they'd at least have some of their true leaves by the time it was Jeff's birthday. Then I surprised him with it...not sure what else I got him that year, but that is the one we remember.

So, it ended up blooming by the end of summer. I tried to help pollinate it in case it couldn't manage on its own. We ended up with about 4 seeds. I saved them for the next year as it was nearly winter by then, I think. The original plant died back, but survived, and this spring I cut it back--despite Jeff's objection (I knew it needed it). Then I planted the new seeds--after soaking them in HOT water. They germinated, and the original one took off (after I transplanted it to a bigger pot). They both are starting to form flower buds--Jeff even counted them the other day and told me. (You have to understand...he likes houseplants--me not so much anymore, though I did in my youth--but watering always falls to me.)

So, if you find the seeds, soak them, and put them in a sunny spot, I think they will do well. They seem to like well drained soil...and I water them about once a week--if I remember. :) Some plants thrive on neglect.

Quote:

I have to admit, when it comes to houseplants, we just do not get along. I created this to get printed and it will be hung in a prominent location for all visitors to see.
Attachment 41542

If you notice the grammatical error, please don't point it out. I actually typed it in correctly the first time, but then questioned it, so changed it to what is now an error.

Your post made me smile or laugh a couple times. This was the first time.
I like the warning. Very cool. ...and I'm sad to say that I didn't notice the grammatical error and had to go back to check. I tend to catch things like that...or at least I *think* I do...but I'm famous for making them at times too.
Quote:

People come over, they don't see houseplants, so think I need them. I was given at least three last year and the one I least liked is the one that survived. I call it an indoor weed- philodendron. I gave it a haircut. A simple whack that cut off six or more feet. I am too lazy to tack that thing up the wall and around the ceiling.

~smile~

I think I remember that kind of philodendron. My mother had one for a long time. Actually, I think cutting it back is the way to go to keep it compact and less work for you.

Quote:

An amazing thing is I've kept a Christmas cactus alive, even with a transplant. :hiphiphooray

:happydance Yippee! :) Good job.

dapjwy 09-04-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Hmm... this sounds interesting.

It looks even more interesting. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so, what is a video worth?

Mimosa Pudica - The Sensitive Plant - YouTube