Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Forbs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Alternate POM Judge

I have approx. an acre of garden areas. Yes I think I better order more in order to keep them coming back year to year. Might have to do some extra pet sitting to afford them. Thanks!
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
I have approx. an acre of garden areas. Yes I think I better order more in order to keep them coming back year to year. Might have to do some extra pet sitting to afford them. Thanks!
Believe me, I'm on a tight budget when it comes to buying plants--and I've gone way over this year! (I mean ...I think. ) After buying my first five plants, I gathered seeds from them and planted them over winter. Then, I planted the seedlings out in the field where I wanted more. So, there is no reason, why you can't do the same thing and spend any more plant money you come by on another species you are looking for. If you are concerned about not enough genetic diversity, buy another plant or two later on and plant more of the seeds that are produced--I think you will be fine.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #23

...There is no way I could afford to plant a whole acre or more in purchased native plants. Each year, I gather seeds from the species I have (and any others I can get), and I plant out those I've grown from seed. Soon, I'm hoping that I will have enough individuals to gather enough seed to direct sow some large sections of the field and turn it into the native meadow of my dreams.

You can do the same...it just takes time.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
Alternate POM Judge

I have planted hundreds of plants since I moved here 13 plus years ago. Unfortunately back then I knew nothing about natives and non natives. Now I am removing non natives and adding natives. Just removing the non natives has encouraged new plants to grow. Now I need to figure out what they all are. It is so much fun. I have found lots of new volunteers this year. I think that must be because of all the rain. I haven't identified all of them yet.

Sounds like a plan dap. I actually ordered 4 butterfly weed plants. 2 for me 2 for a friend. So hopefully between the 2 of us we can keep them going. If not then I can buy more.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #25

I'm glad you are enjoying he process.

Here is hoping that most if not all of your volunteers end up being natives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenwright View Post
I actually ordered 4 butterfly weed plants. 2 for me 2 for a friend. So hopefully between the 2 of us we can keep them going. If not then I can buy more.
Great, then you can collect and share seeds and have even more genetic diversity.

Tags
back, butterfly, milkweed, year