Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Forbs (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/forbs/)
-   -   Senna Albino (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/forbs/11710-senna-albino.html)

rockerBOO 05-29-2013 12:39 PM

Senna Albino

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone else have this happen to their plants? On my wild senna.

Found out that variegated leaves are a form of albino in plants.

Variegated leaves

havalotta 05-29-2013 12:54 PM

I've had variegated varieties send out solid green shoots every now and then but to keep a plant variegated you must cut off the much more aggressive reverts.

biigblueyes 05-29-2013 12:54 PM

Would that be caused by a mineral deficiency?

havalotta 05-29-2013 01:02 PM

I'd think if it was a mineral deficiency, it would show up on the new growth as well.

turttle 05-29-2013 03:22 PM

Very cool, rockerBOO! I would think it wouldn't be a survival trait, with no chlorophyll in the leaves. I think the twigs with the albino leaves are a sport, like the one branch of my light pink azalea that has dark pink flowers. A mutation happened in one small part of the plant. If that is the case, any leaves that grow back on that part of the plant will be albino but the rest of the plant will stay its usual color.

rockerBOO 06-01-2013 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now its showing more varigation and not pure albino.

02840 Wild Senna | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

liquidambar 06-01-2013 05:10 PM

It is pretty. Senna.
You have the most unusual landscaping and plant ideas. They are very interesting.
I did not think of it as a type of albino - stuff.

I thought it was a reaction to a virus, and a virus that does not effect the plant - usual get over the virus.

But maybe all this time I was wrong and it was just an albino mutant.

I have a variegated oregano right now. What was I thinking caused that? I guess I was not thinking on it much, except maybe those variegated tulips dashed through my head in a blur. Gee, if it was some kind of virus would it still be a vigorous plant?

I don't think it would?

Equilibrium 06-01-2013 05:31 PM

turttle's on the $$$, "I would think it wouldn't be a survival trait, with no chlorophyll in the leaves....A mutation happened....." These genetic mutants are usually weaker and inferior to a non-variegated plant of the same species. Overall, they produce fewer and smaller seeds and if the bleaching extends to flowers that are developing.... the seed will be inferior too.... it won't have the nutritional value that seed from an all green plant would have. A plant with genetics like this could probably be sold as an ornamental. The partial bleaching appeals to some people who don't realize their overall performance is poorer because of inferior cell structure.

rockerBOO 06-01-2013 05:38 PM

Variegation is a cell mutation of the plastids that prevent pigmentation. Or so I read. So shouldn't be virus based.

The variegated parts are unable to photosynthesize so this causes the plants to grow slower than normal or not at all if they 100% mutated. It is also said variegated leaves may not last long in full light as they die off.

Equilibrium 06-01-2013 05:45 PM

You're on the right track.... it is a cell mutation. It's not virus based although.... some viruses can result in that "bleached" look. And you're definitely right that the parts of the plant that lack chlorophyll can't photosynthesize. It's an interesting looking plant though.