Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Fertilizing and Soil Amendments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #31
Official Plant Nerd

I think the only reason mine foamed like that is because my ratio of shell to vinegar was like 1:3 instead of the suggested 1:5 so I wouldn't worry. When mine's done doing what ever it's gonna do over the next few weeks.... I'll dump the shells and transfer the "juice" to smaller jars. Nest year I'll add only an ounce to a 5 gallon bucket instead of an ounce to 4 gallons when I get ready to use it as a foliar spray. ---
Taking notes the 1st time around woulda been the smart thing to do but I didn't realize I'd be so busy it'd take me a few months to get going on something that only took like all of 5 minutes to set up. I'm usually pretty good about taking notes so I don't know why I dropped the ball that time.... maybe there was just too much going on that I forgot? Who knows. That video was 1 of my BEST finds for the year so thank you thank you thank you. I'm happier than a pig in you know what that you posted that. I'm starting to look into biochar because of another video he made. That's really something I've been wanting to do for a while. I started a thread on that video somewhere a coupla days ago.... I forgot where though. Oopsie.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

bumpity bump bump bump for rocker.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #33
Fox

pawprint charred gypsum~~would that be a benefit?

I think I might try an 'experiment', to use unwanted drywall pieces, but I have some questions. If I cast those pieces in the fire, burning or charring the gypsum (in a tray) as one would char egg shells or bones. Then process the charred powder & add the cider vinegar.

Would that yield something much like the charred bones would yield?
Would the gypsum now be better conditioned, water soluble for the plant to use?
How come the video guy recommended spraying the plants while the pores are open at night, but did not recommend the water soluble calcium solution into the dirt, so that the roots can collect the calcium & use it?

I haven't tried this yet, but I might keep some solution to spray on the foliage as recommended.

ww
Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

Gypsum's definitely calcium rich but I don't think it'll work wildman.... but.... maybe send soundsgood a private message and ask her what she thinks and give her a link to this thread so she knows where to go? If you don't eat eggs.... do you want me to have my husband grill some shells up for you and send them your way so you can play along with the rest of us?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #35
Grub

Oh-my-goodness, I've not enough experience with drywall or calcium to respond to your drywall question, Wildwatcher. I think your best bet would be to go to Bryan's YouTube video page and inquire there. He's really good about answering.

Hi, EQ! Thanks for letting me know this thread came alive. Wasn't notified for some reason...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
Fox

pawprint at least I didn't have to fight cut worms this year

Ty, soundsgood for responding, I didn't send a PM to you quick enough it seems, as Equilibrium suggested, and I'm just now getting back to this thread to do that...and you have already answered the question!

But I've been doing a little internet research on the gypsum, and I'm really looking forward to a few home experiments along the line that was put forth in the video (but using drywall instead of bones or eggshells). From this website: Drywall Recycling I learned that drywall is already heated twice during the drywall production process.(so maybe I don't have to char it?---just add the cider vinegar, shake & wait for the calcium to dissolve into the liquid solution) I've also learned that drywall by itself generally does not change the PH of the soil, but lime (alkaline) which is a different substance but looks similar, will drastically change soil PH.

Oh I think I've got to go watch the video again.

I've got a really good start on 12 tomato plants this year, some blooms, and even 1 set fruit, I'm concerned to have more blooms as calcium may provide, and improved health of the stems. I've also heard that calcium will prevent blossom end rot, which I am concerned of because this year has had a lot of overcast & rain so far, slightly cool temps also, and... of course my tomatoes only get about 4 hrs. of direct sunlight/day.

Free bone meal for our gardens from our left over turkey carcasses?-june-garden2013-005.jpg a terrible pix of my tomatoes (the staked things on the left)~~I just thought I would send it along for fun.

wildwatcher
Old 06-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #37
Official Plant Nerd

Looks like I’m going to be volunteering at a community center a few towns over. I got recruited… if you want to call it that…. more like hounded for the last month…. by this really pushy but sincere “wonttakenoforananswer” dude trying to fill a slot because he didn’t have anyone on board who had experience working with at risk youth or differently abled. I told him 1 day a month… maybe 2 days in July to help get them going…. and no longer than 2 hours on any day and that I got to pick when because I’m slammed with so much going on at home… he said fine… I’m hired. Anywhoooo…. I got to talking to my new boss about flea beetles and grapes... kaolin clay…. diatomaceous earth…powdered sugar shakers and…. he doesn’t grow grapes so he doesn’t know but…. he was familiar with gypsum. I described how we’d been “playing” around with it and he laughed and said he didn’t think gypsum would work either… gypsum is calcium sulfate and egg shells are calcium carbonate. He said you’re supposed to “experiment” with your wife’s pearls because those would work and that when you’re done charring and crushing and voo doo vinegarizing her pearls…. I’m supposed to send you his business card since he’s a divorce lawyer.
--
Your tomatoes look like they're farther along than mine are. I used mostly stakes this year too.... most of my wire tomato cages have seen better days.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #38
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Good morning....
I was wondering why you're adding vinegar to the stuff? To disintegrate and break down things faster?
Isn't vinegar used as a weed killer! Wouldn't this addition then harm the plants?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #39
Official Plant Nerd

Watch the short video in post #17.... I'm not demystifying the process for you because.... I'm hoping after you watch it.... you'll try making your own once the light goes on in your head about the process!!! I have to laugh.... I can just see your husband grilling egg shells on the grill for you after the video turns you into a convert.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #40
Fox

pawprint Well I never said... "I haz tomato cages to weld"

Free bone meal for our gardens from our left over turkey carcasses?-bradley-tomato-001.jpgHey Equilibrium, well heck ya mine is ahead of yours~~~I'm pretty sure my location/season has a lot to do with it, but maybe you just want to race someone on the tomato tending. ~~does it matter that I have seen tomato worms already, and you haven't? I am probably already disqualified to race anyone, because I used some liquid commercial fertilizer.

As for the calcium sulfate vs. carbonate... your 'don'twannatakeNO4an-answer' guy is correct, of which I figured that out by researching alittle on the internet. But I still soaked some with apple cider vinegar, not much bubbles, and the sulfurous smell was kind of a draw back, even after settling for 4 or 5 days. So I just wasted that batch & mixed a bunch of the raw calcium sulfate (gypsum) into my compost pile, & scattered some on the ground around the plants. Even tho I have yet to prove: calcium sulfate will dissolve into mild acids, and then perhaps diluted with water for foliage spraying calcium uptake with plants.

Dang I can't even spell sceintist, and now I 'R' one.

The undissolved recycled gypsum is supposed to help at the root level, the dirt clods become easier to break, which I think should help my lettuce plants, because I haven't recently tilled the ground where they are planted. Of course as of yesterday...I couldn't resist ripping the lettuce bed dirt with a hoe, just to get some aeration in there, whether there is calcium sulfate in there or not!

Don't ya just hate it when your volunteering, and then the new boss unwittingly says: 'your hired'.

ww

Tags
bone, bone meal, bones, calcium, carcasses, compost, free, gardens, left, meal, phosphorus, recycle, turkey