Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Fertilizing and Soil Amendments

LinkBack (33) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #431
Official Plant Nerd

"Too much fun for a grown man. " Ha ha ha!!!! I love your cavalier approach to this. You're gonna go far.... I feel it in my bones. Anyone who isn't afraid to "experiment" ends up learning way more than those who just follow along!!! Way to go rcwarship!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #432
Carbon

mushroom2 Just started my Bokashi!

I just started my Bokashi!
I've been lurking here for weeks, read this entire thread and several others.

I love the idea of Bokashi and am going to join the Master Composter program by one of our local colleges! I love composting, and have been doing it the old-fashioned way with our no-spray lawn clippings and weeds, and our kitchen waste, but I want to try it with this as well!

I'm going to use paper shreds for my material, since we get a lot of them, and it just sounds like an easy way to use the stuff up. There's just too many "Browns" in my compost already and while the piles are doing well, I don't think they could take what we generate in paper waste and still make good soil.

Fingers crossed, in a few days I'll add my milk and get the long wait underway!

Will update as I go! ~QJ
Qjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #433
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qjedi View Post
I just started my Bokashi!
Good luck with your project Qjedi! There's nothing wrong with lurking, but glad to see that you decided to jump in. The more, the merrier!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #434
Carbon

I'm actually considering doing a cut-off bokashi barrel, in ground, and seeing what I can get out of it all. I know some folks have had good results from doing smaller buckets in a large flowerpot, and similar projects, but I just get a kick out of this stuff, and would LOVE to see how it works with a 55 gallon drum.
I'll probably start smaller, but I see a lot of potential going with a larger (or better yet, longer) container than a 5 gallon bucket. Like a big piece of wide-bore PVC, or maybe a long piece of plastic rolled into a cylinder, or... or... umm...

Well, we do have a bunch of big drums we bought to help us set up our water harvesting system; I might move up to that point if it gets really working.
Qjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #435
Official Plant Nerd

How goes your bokashi Qj>>>>? A barrel would mean MORE space for bokashi bucket "fuel"!!! I think once you get going you'll find it's addictive. Before you know it.... you'll be going to restaurants and asking for take home boxes so you can scrape every plate off into it for "take home". I swear.... my friends and family are so used to me taking home what they don't eat they just pass their plates to me. I keep a plastic bag in my purse just in case we're at a restaurant that doesn't have big take home bags. I've had people at other tables ask me what I'm doing and I tell them.... after I'm done telling them.... I decide whether or not the person asking is a good sport or not and if they are.... I ask em if I can scrape off their plates too. People are into composting.... bokashi is just another way to do it. So far everyone I've "jokingly" asked has passed me their plate and the plates of the others eating with them. If my bokashi bucket is full.... there's always the big momma composter out back. It's just that I hate sticking fish and meat scraps in it because it attracts undesirables.
--
I've been thinking long and hard about some sort of a drip irrigation system fed by my rain barrels. If you come up with anything.... I'd love to know what you do since I've got a few spare Shutz tanks here that can hold over 300 gallons of water each.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #436
WG Facilitator

Equilibrium . . . you have your tree avatar back!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #437
Unicellular Fungi

Hi All,
A big thanks to biigblueyes & all who have contributed to this awesome post. I'm just now finishing up with my first batch of bokashi mix using coffee as the carrier & am in awe of how easy it is to do, and how effective it is.
As I am almost out of the mix, my next step is to simply add more coffee to what I have left to see if it will propogate again. I plan on addiing a little de-chlorinated water to the mix & see if it does it's thing.
This is waaaaaay too much fun.
Thanks Again To All,
Jon
PS the Gamma Seal Lids are awesome for the bokashi bucket as they spin on & off soooooooo easily. I also saw them down at Home Depot for $4 per lid.
rcwarship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #438
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Jon,

Your enthusiasm has me thinking I should look into bokashi. When the topic first came up, I checked out the threads a little...but I really know little about the process and have yet to take the time to read back.

Who knows, maybe you planted a seed, and in time, I'll be as enthused as you are someday.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 AM   #439
Unicellular Fungi

Heya dapjwy,
You betcha, life's good....up to us to enjoy it. Give it a try when you get a chance, worst that can happen is you don't do it again!
Best Regards,
Jon
rcwarship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #440
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwarship View Post
As I am almost out of the mix, my next step is to simply add more coffee to what I have left to see if it will propogate again. I plan on addiing a little de-chlorinated water to the mix & see if it does it's thing..
Are you going to add molasses too, to feed your microbe livestock herd?

Tags
bokashi bran, bokashi bucket, bokashi diy, bokashi juice, bokashi liquid, bokashi recipe, bokashi serum, bokashi uses, compost, composting, effective indigenous mircoorganisms, effective microorganisms, em diy, em recipe, extreme, fermentation, fermented bokashi liquid, fermented mircoorganisms, how to, how to make bokashi, indigenous mircoorganisms, innoculant, kitchen waste, lactobacillus, mircoorganisms