Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Fertilizing and Soil Amendments

LinkBack (33) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #381
Unicellular Fungi

thanks BooBooBearBecky - i guess you can say i've got the bug

it's fun to share new adventures - only trouble is i'm running out of buckets
Verm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #382
Lungwort

Oh boy BBBB.....

I have some oak leaves and pine leaves. Let me get to yet another free experiment!

Now... I need a bucket to ferment them in!
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #383
Carbon

Who is about to start bokashi experiment?
I want to follow.
briergardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #384
Carbon

I have two milk cultures: one that looks like yogurt, i use it to make cottage cheese (it ferments milk in 24 hours, i remove some for next time) and another tibetan milk mushroom that I use to make keffirr. I make two cups of keffir every day and ferment milk for cottage cheese once a week.

Questions:
Can I make bokashi bucket in a such way:
put some fall leaves on bottom
add inch of kitchen scrap
sprinkle with either fermented milk or keffir,
sprinkle with some molasses
cover with brown bag and plate with a weight

Do i need to mix fermented milk/keffir with mollasses in advance or not?
How much fermented milk/keffir should i use for each layer?

I am planning to add layers every other day.
briergardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #385
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by briergardener View Post
I have two milk cultures: one that looks like yogurt, i use it to make cottage cheese (it ferments milk in 24 hours, i remove some for next time) and another tibetan milk mushroom that I use to make keffirr. I make two cups of keffir every day and ferment milk for cottage cheese once a week.

Questions:
Can I make bokashi bucket in a such way:
put some fall leaves on bottom
add inch of kitchen scrap
sprinkle with either fermented milk or keffir,
sprinkle with some molasses
cover with brown bag and plate with a weight

Do i need to mix fermented milk/keffir with mollasses in advance or not?
How much fermented milk/keffir should i use for each layer?

I am planning to add layers every other day.
Sounds like an interesting experiement. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I mixed my milk (after it soured and seperated) with molasses and water to dilute it. I also tossed in a few handfuls of freshly pulled weeds. Covered it and let it ferment some more. Strained it all and mixed the watered down stuff with bran and a bit more molasses.

As for how much to use in each layer, I think you'll have estimate as you go. Just use your nose to measure the success or not. As long it smells like sweet and sour sauce or cow silage, it's working!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #386
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maricybele View Post
Oh boy BBBB.....

I have some oak leaves and pine leaves. Let me get to yet another free experiment!

Now... I need a bucket to ferment them in!
Make sure you get back to us on your results OK?
I'm really curious to know how the oak leaves work out for you.

I will be starting my experiment soon. As soon as the 4 feet of snow we still have melts. Last night the windchill was 5 below. Very late spring here!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #387
Lungwort

Did anyone see this online?

em - Wind In The Roses

em local microbe soup... lots of home made ingredients...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #388
Unicellular Fungi

thanks for posting this maricybele.

i've found relatively little information on em of this sort.

this quote:
Quote:
In general, most people who make EM appear to have the attitude that "We don't need inexperienced people trying things that get themselves or others sick or worse, thus setting back the product, industry, etc." so there is very little help to be had in finding out ways to make your own EM brew. There are companies that sell the bacteria you are looking for, for different purposes, but do not necessarily list the bacteria on the label.
along with:
Quote:
Disclaimer: Some of the uses for EM culture may be contrary to rules or guidelines in your governmental jurisdiction. Also, some practices may not be approved by official or orthodox medical practitioners, and some could be dangerous if processed incorrectly. This site is offered for information only and if you choose to use the information here, you do so at your own risk and responsibility.
may help to explain why there is relatively little published online

no one wants to be responsible for killing a misguided geophagist

*the part about not using biodegradable plastic has me worried about my em bran.

Last edited by Verm; 03-30-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Verm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #389
Lungwort

I would think not using biodegradable plastic is for consumption purposes. Your ferment is for compost right?

Luckily my serum is working, I just wish I would know places close to the house that defiantly have rodobacters and (PNSB). I just make sure to add some compost, and soil microbes from big tree soil. Not going to buy a microscope unless I see one cheap at a garage sale or something.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #390
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verm View Post
thanks for this Bruce

i'm waiting on some yogurt to cool to attempt much the same here.

i'll be using unrefined, unbleached brown sugar and bran

here's to bumping an epic thread - i've tried reading it through a few times now and suspect i've missed lots
Yogurt did not work at all for me, no pickling, stinky mess. Now that winter has left, I plan on using lots of leaf mold again, 'cause that worked before. And, I have so much right now, while pulling poison ivy from my woods.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bokashi bran, bokashi bucket, bokashi diy, bokashi juice, bokashi liquid, bokashi recipe, bokashi serum, bokashi uses, compost, composting, effective indigenous mircoorganisms, effective microorganisms, em diy, em recipe, extreme, fermentation, fermented bokashi liquid, fermented mircoorganisms, how to, how to make bokashi, indigenous mircoorganisms, innoculant, kitchen waste, lactobacillus, mircoorganisms