Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Fertilizing and Soil Amendments

LinkBack (33) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #341
Official Plant Nerd

Caseynet> are you talking about bad bacteria getting into the actual bokashi bucket or the container you're using for your serum? The plastic bokashi bucket could be sprayed with Lysol then rinsed really well but I wouldn't think anything more than a nice wash in warm soapy water followed by drying would be fine. I would opt for some sort of a glass jar that was run through a dishwasher to make your inoculant instead of plastic though. Greenjeans> I woulda said go for it too. By tomorrow you should have some curds on the top of the strained liquid. disparu> You were talking about cheating using a spray solution of lacto bacilli in your bokashi bucket. I'm thinking like anything else that it's going to have a shelf life so you could for sure cheat for at least a week maybe longer but once you added the molasses.... you started activating it. These are living microorganisms and you're either going to have to "deactivate" them to be used at a later date or my guess is you'll end up having to pitch what you can't use before it goes bad. Think of it like commercial yogurt without preservatives. Yogurt doesn't last forever even with preservatives. Say.... I'm the "guy" who used the magazine but it was more like newsprint and the ink was soy based. It worked. Drying it wasn't as easy as drying bran but hey.... I was happy with being able to tear off a whole page to stick in the bucket everytime I needed it. One thing though.... my newsprint never grew any white mold even after being in a sealed ziplock for over a week. Activation is an anaerobic process so I'm wondering if maybe you might have had too much oxygen in your container? Maybe that's the root of the mold?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 PM   #342
Official Plant Nerd

disparu> check this out, http://www.academicjournals.org/AJMR...%20et%20al.pdf.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #343
Carbon

Thanks for the info and the fascinating study.

The cause of the mold growth was one of my last questions. It does go hand in hand with a bucket system and either home brewed l. bacillus or EM.

I have found that the longer my bucket stays shut the more exponential the mold growth is.

It's not full on cotton ball size, they are just white specs that are showing up on the paper.
disparu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #344
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Caseynet> are you talking about bad bacteria getting into the actual bokashi bucket or the container you're using for your serum? The plastic bokashi bucket could be sprayed with Lysol then rinsed really well but I wouldn't think anything more than a nice wash in warm soapy water followed by drying would be fine. I would opt for some sort of a glass jar that was run through a dishwasher to make your inoculant instead of plastic though.
I was talking about making the serum. I have made it before, and used the serum with molasses and wheat bran. It was fine and I filled up my bokashi bucket with garbage. I even used the serum to ferment more bran. The problem started when I needed to make more serum. I got the curds and whey, but, unlike the first time, it had a foul odor. I threw it out, sterilized the bucket, and started over. So far, so good.
caseynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #345
Lungwort

Quote:
Greenjeans> I woulda said go for it too. By tomorrow you should have some curds on the top of the strained liquid.
It has changed almost hourly in the past 24 hours. It went from what looked like a thick buttermilk to a small amount of liquid and a white cheesy layer. It now looks like a white sponge floating at the top. Thanks disparu and Equil for encouraging me to give it a shot!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #346
Carbon

Glad it's moving forward for you!!
disparu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #347
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhhhhh Caseynet!!!! Nice new album photos you've got there!!! Something airborne coulda landed in that last serum. I had that happen when I left my jar out on the counter top once. I was going to use it but on second thought decided to pitch it in a composter. Greenjeans> sounds poifect!!! Onto the next step for you!!!

adding a link, Anyone ever used soy or barley to make a bokashi serum?

Last edited by Equilibrium; 08-21-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added link to idea
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #348
Lungwort

FruitCherries

Thanks Equilibrium! I had somehow overlooked your album. Your pictures of the prairie are great! No prairie left around Central Illinois. My serum is going well this time. I started the rice wash ten days ago and added skim milk, 10:1 ratio, 5 days ago. Might be wrong, but I also added a pack of baker's yeast at the beginning. There is plenty of wild yeast in the air, along with bacteria. Beer brewing is another fermentation process and most breweries are clean and sanitary. They maintain a particular strain of yeast and ensure that conditions are optimum for rapid fermentation, at least at the beginning. Then there are the Belgian breweries that only use wild yeast. The rooms that they use to brew their beer are left untouched, with dust piled up, literally for centuries. Go figure! Lot of good advice in this forum!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #349
Too Wild To Garden

raven

Did I miss something? are people routinely adding bakers yeast to the serum making process?

How is that going? Isn't that different from Lacto bacillus?
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #350
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow View Post
Did I miss something? are people routinely adding bakers yeast to the serum making process?

How is that going? Isn't that different from Lacto bacillus?
Sorry, Arrow, I have not come across any references to adding yeast at the start of the serum making process, it's just me. I started with 6 ounces of rice, 12 ounces of non-chlorinated, warmed water, proofed the yeast and pitched it. Last Monday, the 16th, I added a gallon of skim milk. I did this all in a 5-gallon bucket, because I do not have a large enough glass jug. It is going well. Here is a picture from above, showing the curds. The yellowish, clear liquid is below. I am fermenting this batch for seven more days.

Attached Thumbnails
Extreme Bokashi - make your own innoculant-4916812751_bde8d2e555.jpg  

Tags
bokashi bran, bokashi bucket, bokashi diy, bokashi juice, bokashi liquid, bokashi recipe, bokashi serum, bokashi uses, compost, composting, effective indigenous mircoorganisms, effective microorganisms, em diy, em recipe, extreme, fermentation, fermented bokashi liquid, fermented mircoorganisms, how to, how to make bokashi, indigenous mircoorganisms, innoculant, kitchen waste, lactobacillus, mircoorganisms