Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 PM  
Equilibrium
Official Plant Nerd

bat2 Bat Basics

Bat Basics

A little bit of background information before we get started creating habitat would be nice so letís begin.

Bats are...
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
By Equilibrium on 04-24-2010, 12:18 AM

Two left hands and ten thumbs.... are we related??? Way to go on making bat houses. What plans did you use? I know this is off topic.... sort of.... but supposedly there's a really great native plant nursery somewhere in Green Bay. I keep meaning to try to find it since I drive through there quite a few times every year and I never seem to remember to look it up. You don't happen to know what the name of it is do you? Supposedly it's the only one in your neck of the woods.
By beegirl on 04-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Default Bat Houses

Here's a photo of the bat houses I made. They are simply constructed (only 3 chambers each) but the bats seem to like them. I made these at a workshop through the NEW Zoo in Suamico awhile back so I don't have the plans. Also I am not aware if they are still offering this workshop but would check with local wildlife sanctuarys, etc. As you can see our bats are kinda messy - we just painted the house last year! Oh well, small price to pay.
Attached Thumbnails
Bat Basics-imag0020.jpg  
Last edited by beegirl; 04-24-2010 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: clarification
By NEWisc on 04-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Nice to see that the bats found your bat houses to be suitable for their needs. It looks like our bats are going to need all the help they can get in the not to distant future.

Quote:
For now, Wisconsin's bat population is hale and hearty. But a devastating fungus is racing through cave-dwelling bat populations in eastern states and it's headed this way. White-nose syndrome has now killed an estimated 1 million bats, and experts say it could reach Wisconsin within two to three years.
Sounding the alarm for bat health - JSOnline
By Equilibrium on 10-12-2011, 09:57 AM

These bathouses are only about 15' off the ground. The guy making them adds a new 1 each time he looks up and sees "cramped" quarters. He's run out of space and started erecting poles that are about 18' off the ground which I think is kinda cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Bat Basics-img_6850.jpg   Bat Basics-img_6853.jpg  
Comment

Tags
basics, bat, bat habitat, bat house, bat house photos, bat houses, bathouse, bats, blueprints, diy bathouse, how to, how to make a bat house

Journal Tools