Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (4) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 PM  
PineStraw
Grub

Default Pine Straw (Pine Needle) Mulch Acidity: Separating Fact From Fiction Through Analytical Testing

The debate has waged on for many years regarding the acidity of pine straw (also commonly called pine needles and pinestraw mulch) and the effects that potential acidity may have on soil acidity and subsequent plant health when used as a mulch. I've read in numerous places that pine straw is...
By PineStraw on 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Have you tested any species other than Pinus taeda?
Not yet, but would be willing to if I could get my hands on some fresh needles. Not withstanding all the other variables regarding variations in breakdown of volatiles, wax content, etc., I suspect the results will be similar.
By TheLorax on 01-15-2010, 05:48 PM

I have not tested any species.

It would be most interested to have information for Pinus sylvestris and P. mugo. Those two exotic species are beginning to make their presence known throughout WI.
By PineStraw on 01-15-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I have not tested any species.

It would be most interested to have information for Pinus sylvestris and P. mugo. Those two exotic species are beginning to make their presence known throughout WI.
Any chance you could get a small ziplock bag of each, possibly both green and freshly fallen brown, seal them, label them, and mail them to me? I'd be happy to test them.
By TheLorax on 01-25-2010, 09:36 PM

Yes. I would be able to do this. Thank you very kindly. May I wait until spring to do this when the weather breaks?
By PineStraw on 01-26-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yes. I would be able to do this. Thank you very kindly. May I wait until spring to do this when the weather breaks?
Definitely wait on some warmer weather! Holler at me when you are ready and I'll send my mailing address.
By ahicks6 on 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Default well done and very usefull

Thanks
By dapjwy on 11-03-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks6 View Post
Thanks
Welcome to our forum, ahicks6! It is a great site--lots of information and friendly, fun-loving members as well. Explore and enjoy!

You may want to introduce yourself here: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...urself-please/
Comment

Tags
acidic soil, acidity, compost, decomposed pine needles, decomposed pine straw, garden, landscape, mulch, mulch acidity, organic, pine, pine mulch analytical testing, pine needle acidity test, pine needle compost, pine needle mulch, pine needles, pine straw, pine straw as mulch, pine straw compost, pine straw leachate, pinestraw, reduce weeds, soil nutrients, soil ph, straw

Journal Tools