Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (3) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 AM  
hazelnut
WG Writer

Default Food Forest: An Example from a Northern Michigan Forest

FOOD FOREST: AN EXAMPLE FROM A NORTHERN MICHIGAN FOREST

Figure 1

Click here to read the entire garden article
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
By BooBooBearBecky on 09-27-2009, 12:29 AM

hazelnut-
Your final article will be terrific based on what I've read here. Not only do you take us, the reader, into the structure of a decidious forest and explain it, but then further describe by example, your experieces of living in one. Fascinating reading!

Keep up the good work. I hope you consider expanding some of the subjects discussed in your article (in additional articles)....the syrup collecting and making syrup, your family farm. Ya, know how things were done back then. And of course more of the permaculture/edible forest thing.

BooBooBearBecky
By hazelnut on 09-27-2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks, BooBooBearBecky. I hope the completed article will be posted soon. There are some references and a video for collecting morels.
By JennyC on 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM

Everyone notice the new complete version of this fantastic article!
By hazelnut on 09-29-2009, 08:39 AM

Thanks, Jenny. I know dealing with a Flood and Food Forest at the same time may have required some extraordinary effort! Thanks for your help.
By sprucetree on 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM

I'm going to ask anyone interested in Great Lakes Forests: In this case logging to read Hazelnut's Featured Article and click on the log roll link to give some insight to how the Michigan Forest Products helped build this country; From ships to trains and of course shelter.

When I was a kid there was a fictional character called Paul Bunyan; It was a childhood favorite read of mine and probably influenced me to enjoy reading.

As an interesting side note; The lumber logged from 1860-1870 was equal to if not surpassing the Gold Rush that started in San Fransisco in 1849-1859
Comment

Tags
allelopathy, black raspberries, blueberries, deciduous forest, design a food forest, edible forest, find food in the forest, food, food forest, food garden, forest, forest food, gooseberries, juneberries, michigan, morels, northern, northern michigan forest, permaculture, raspberries, vertical layering, wild strawberries, wintergreen berries, woods

Journal Tools