Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM  
TheLorax
Unicellular Fungi

Default Invasive Species In A Nutshell

Invasive Species In A Nutshell
by TheLorax

Lots of talk these days about invasive species and seems as if there are a lot of people trying to make sense of all the bad press some plants and animals are getting lately who are interested in learning more about them. The below is...
By Chomp on 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM

When in doubt...go native.

Its the only way to go.
By kathiwren on 03-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Default Brilliant!

On Beyond Zebra is one of my favorites; I own it, and I don't have any excuse (like kids). Another is Bartholomew and the Oobleck, and Happy Birthday To You!
Thanks for the analogy; I've shared it with my fellow Va Master Naturalists.
By TheLorax on 03-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Thank you for the compliment kathiwren. We do not need an excuse to own the book. (giggle) I own two well worn copies of the book.
By jack on 06-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Thank you for the compliment kathiwren. We do not need an excuse to own the book. (giggle) I own two well worn copies of the book.
I know one nutch that has a nitch here in NE. The Norway Maple is the nutch of all nutches with nitches!
By linrose on 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM

What a great analogy for kids! I love Dr. Seuss, have every book he's ever written I think. I grew up with him and so did my kids. We had a neighbor who had small children the same age as ours who didn't approve of kids reading Dr. Seuss. They said that they'd never learn REAL words. Nonsense! I feel sorry for kids denied the fun of his stories. I didn't feel like a bad parent for reading them to my kids. He was also very clever at approaching social issues that children could learn from. One of my favorites was "The Sneetches".

"Now, the Star-Belly Sneetches
Had bellies with stars.
The Plain-Belly Sneetches
Had none upon thars."

A great lesson in pride and envy. Now I feel like reading a few Seussian stories!
Comment

Tags
albizia julibrissin, english house sparrow, introduced species, invasive, invasive fauna, invasive plant, invasive species, invasive species in a nutshell, invasives, kudzu, native, native species, natives, norway rat, nutshell, passer domesticus, rattus norvegicus, species, tree of heaven, ueraria montana, ueraria montana lobata

Journal Tools