Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM  
NEBogger
Salamander

Default Saga of a new Bogger

SAGA OF A NEW BOGGER

Ever have an idea of something you'd like to try - Click here to read the entire garden article
NEBogger is offline   Reply With Quote
By stapleton on 04-23-2010, 09:49 AM

While they do have a pretty bog garden at the atlanta botanical garden, it's too expensive for me to go on a regular basis. I usually go to GA Pereimeter College's native botanical garden whenever I drive by (It's free and plants are very cheap. Technically it's in Decatur). In case any other southerners aren't famliar with this gem, please see the link below: Georgia Perimeter College Native Plant Botanical Garden
The guy who I believe got the ball rolling there is named George Sanko and it's volunteer run.
By TheLorax on 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM

How much does the Atlantic Botanical Garden charge as an entrance fee?

Most botanical gardens have become an occassional treat for me. Their entrance fees have made visiting them with any regularity prohibitive for our family. It is absolutely wonderful to see a botanical garden that is exclusively native plants free to visitors.

Wonderful find stapleton.
By stapleton on 04-23-2010, 05:39 PM

The atlanta botanical garden is 15$ per adult. I do wish botanical gardens were more easily accessible to the public (ie cheaper). Most people I know have absolutely no interest in plants and would not be willing to spend that much money to see some. Perhaps if they got to see the gardens they might care more about plants? I don't know whether the gardens make a profit or if the price is as low as they can keep it and still maintain the garden's up keep.
By TheLorax on 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM

I do not know the answer to your question however I am learning that insurance is extremely expensive often costing in the tens of thousands for a very small business. I shudder to think what they must pay annually in insurance premiums so perhaps most botanical gardens are merely attempting to cover their overhead expenses.
By NEBogger on 11-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Hello all, haven't spent much time at the computer for a while. Thought I would touch base here. What I was told as a youngster, is true, TIME just keeps going faster and faster!
Will add some recent pictures of my bog. It's been a very dry fall, as was the last the last part of summer. Hopefully that's why some of the sars didn't get as tall as last year. The clumps are definitely getting larger. Which brings up the question of dividing, for those in the know. Are the clumps big enough to divide this spring?
I never did get any different plants this past spring, maybe next...
Attached Thumbnails
Saga of a new Bogger-100_0549.jpg   Saga of a new Bogger-100_0550.jpg  
By Equilibrium on 11-12-2010, 11:59 PM

Lookin mighty fine!!! The one on the left in the 1st photo looks good to go but not so sure about the one on the right of that photo so leave that alone. Can you get me more photos of all the plants you're thinking about dividing and post them with a far away and a close up in separate threads so I can keep them organized in my head? Do you have when to divide and how down pat? You opposed to using Miracid? What's your pH?
By NEBogger on 11-13-2010, 11:40 PM

Ha! Me have every thing down pat? All I know is that dividing should take place in the spring. I have no idea of the pH, last year I did add some white vinegar to a batch of rain water, never even gave it a thought this year. Miracid would be okay to add?
Did something different this fall. In the past I covered the bog before it really froze, when I'd uncover it in the spring, the plants looked just like they did when I covered them. We always seemed to get another freeze after I uncovered them in the spring, then they'd look, well, frozen. This year I let them freeze, it got down to 26-27 degrees, they still looked pretty good. But I cut all the older pitchers off 4-5 inches from the bottom. I left the young leaves tho. Then covered it all up with pine needles.
Attached Thumbnails
Saga of a new Bogger-100_0556.jpg   Saga of a new Bogger-100_0595.jpg   Saga of a new Bogger-100_0586.jpg   Saga of a new Bogger-100_0551.jpg  
Comment

Tags
acidic peat bog, bog, bogs, building a bog, dionaea muscipula, drosera, droseraceae, droseraceae dentata, droseraceae. red dragon, how to, make a bog, peat bog, pitcher plants, saga, saga of a new bogger, sarracenia dixie lace, sarracenia flava, sarracenia judith hindle, sarracenia leucophylla, sarracenia ornata, sarracenia purpurea, sarracenia rubra, sarracenia tarnok, sarraceniaceae, venus fly trap

Journal Tools