Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM  
NEBogger
Salamander

Default Saga of a new Bogger

SAGA OF A NEW BOGGER

Ever have an idea of something you'd like to try - Click here to read the entire garden article
NEBogger is offline   Reply With Quote
By NEBogger on 03-28-2010, 09:33 AM

I now have the right sulfur, it has quit raining, and the sun is finally shining! Today I will check things out more closely. Getting the mulch off and exposing all the white fuzzies to the sun's rays, was definitely a good prescription from the doctor.
Yep, had to remove the plug again yesterday with all the rain, will follow the doctor's orders and leave it out for a while.
I have a question on the plants staying so green. We had temperatures @ 11 below this winter, yes I did have the bog mulched, but why didn't it freeze back? There's no way it stayed above freezing.
By NEBogger on 03-31-2010, 09:29 PM

The bog is cleaned up and plants are trimmed. I didn't see any more mold. Therefore I didn't apply any of the sulfur. Now to see how many flowers I get!
Surely, by next year I'll have all of my 'jitters' worked out of me...
Attached Thumbnails
Saga of a new Bogger-p1010002.jpg  
By Equilibrium on 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM

If you still have your VFT.... don't let it bloom this year. Cut off any bloom stalk it tries to send up.That would be waaaaaay too much stress on a VFT after a bad spring. "why didn't it freeze back?" They definitely froze to sarracinicicles. Freezing isn't what's going to kill em.... it's the rapid freeze thaw cycling that does em in. You should be breaking that with the heavy layer of mulch. Keep the plug out for another coupla weeks. Check the crowns of your plants again or have one of your kids look. See any mold.... pepper the crowns with the sulfur or better yet.... lift them out of the ground and take a closer look and remove any icky parts then dust and stick back in the ground.
By NEBogger on 03-31-2010, 10:07 PM

On second thought then, I'll do some digging and make sure.
In regards to the freezing, in my mind, they should be all brown, not so green in the spring. Not complaining at all, just didn't picture them as 'evergreen' even with the thick pine needle mulch.
I've read that before, about not letting the flytraps bloom, at all even, so that was in my plans. Last year only one of the sarrs bloomed, and it was just beautiful. Definitely leaves you wanting more to goggle at.
I haven't even decided what else to add this year, and the time to decide is here.
By Equilibrium on 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM

One bloom isn't a reflection on you. The plants you bought were probably grown from seed and they're just not mature enough to send up scapes. Besides which, there's always other factors at play anyway and they were just planted last year. I seriously didn't think you were in as bad a shape as you thought you were from looking at your photos but... those were just photos and it's not like being able to be there in person looking at the plants. Dig up the plant that in your mind looked the worst... if there's nothing wrong with it.... leave the other ones alone and wait it out. Just don't put the plug in yet. I got a feeling about that. Plenty of time to plug it up later.
By NEBogger on 04-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks Equil. All I keep thinking about is buying that new liner, and now I have it too wet, at least I'm a learn'. Better than having it dry out and fried to crisp...
My plants were indeed 'tiny babies' when I got them. I'm looking forward in time, and picturing how much bigger and better the plants will be as they mature.
Will check on one plant, and go from there. Happy spring!!!
By stapleton on 04-11-2010, 07:31 AM

Wonderful read I'm very very new to all this. My question is...I just put down a small bog in my yard. Then tried to walk on it and just sunk right in...up to my calves after watering it for the first time. Is this normal? Can I not walk on it, but just around it? I was hoping to have a path running through it :/
By NEBogger on 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Hi stapleton. I don't walk on mine, I made it so I wouldn't have too. Mine is also a lot
more solid than yours, by the sound of it.
I'm curious, how did you make your bog, how big is it, and what were your plans for it?
By stapleton on 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM

well, I bought 2 pitcher plants a year ago and planted them in a rain garden. They looked very unhappy and I was told they needed a bog. I made it with 2-4 inches of sand on the bottom, lots of peat on top, and water. I used no liner as I live in GA and the soil is hard clay which does not drain well (I mean days if I dig a hole anf fill it with water and wait for it to drain). The bog is maybe three feet wide and four feet long, I guess. On the shallow end only 4 inches deep, and on the deeper end about 2 feet. I've planted 2 unhappy looking pitcher plants in the deep end and am hoping they come back. The bog is located in a rain garden that is located in a water retention area for a condominuim complex. When I touch the bog it trembles like jello and dries out pretty quickly. Your post said you had to refill your several times before it stayed wet or something? So I've just been refilling it. I moved the path around it cause it's just too...boggy to walk on. As far as plans go, I just hope the plants live. I did it in 1 weekend so it's far from being finished but I'll post some photos if I can figure out how. I'm not so sure what to do next. Any tips would be great
By Equilibrium on 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Hiya stapleton. I don't walk on mine either. Sounds to me like you're a little bit on the soupy side. No biggie. I've been on the soupy side before. All you need to do is add some very well rinsed sand and more Canadian sphagnum peat to your mix. That'll fix you up. You'll be ok. Don't worry. If you're going to be planting carnivorous plants in that bog.... you'll want to use collected rain water instead of water from your tap.
Comment

Tags
acidic peat bog, bog, bogs, building a bog, dionaea muscipula, drosera, droseraceae, droseraceae dentata, droseraceae. red dragon, how to, make a bog, peat bog, pitcher plants, saga, saga of a new bogger, sarracenia dixie lace, sarracenia flava, sarracenia judith hindle, sarracenia leucophylla, sarracenia ornata, sarracenia purpurea, sarracenia rubra, sarracenia tarnok, sarraceniaceae, venus fly trap

Journal Tools