Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 AM  
doccat5
Big Fat juicy WORM

Default Suggestions for starting seeds indoors

How to turn those tiny seeds into lovely plant for your garden? Starting plants from seed seems like a magical process, but there’s no great mystery to it. Here are few tips to help you on your way to successfully growing your own...
By dapjwy on 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM

Helianthus,

I don't know the answer to the curling leaves, but I think it is great you are getting things growing. I have to agree that planting indoors would probably stress me out too--especially since this year I must have three dozen plus plastic shoeboxes filled with countless seeds. I'm glad those are outside.

I can handle veggies in the sun porch or by the bay windows...I just have to get them planted!

...and each year spring goes by without me separating the seedlings and planting them in the ground. That normally happens in the fall...as late as November sometimes. This year the ground froze before I'd planted everything I had in the ground! This year. I'll have about three times as many!
By rockerBOO on 03-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Yellowing could be from over-watering, or lack of nutrients. They are not quick to give up life though. I like to blow on my seedlings. They seem to enjoy the CO2.

I have found this to be helpful. They have the different zones to give a general idea of when to start indoors or outdoors.

Zone 6 Vegetable Planting Calendar | Vegetable Planting Calendar
By dapjwy on 03-19-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
I have found this to be helpful. They have the different zones to give a general idea of when to start indoors or outdoors.

Zone 6 Vegetable Planting Calendar | Vegetable Planting Calendar
Thanks for the link, rockerBOO, very cool!
By Helianthus on 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks! I hope they'll pull through. I'm trying to cut down on the watering and I snipped off the worst looking leaves. I'm hoping the new leaves coming in will be healthier. I think I'll put them in bigger pots soon, too.
Every year it's something, but by July it all works out.
Comment

Tags
indoors, seeds, starting, suggestions

Journal Tools