Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (3) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 AM  
hazelnut
WG Writer

Default The Native Roses of North America

Part I.

THE NATIVE ROSES OF NORTH AMERICA

by hazelnut

Native species roses normally bloom in late spring for only about two weeks out of the year. Their blooms are...
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
By Equilibrium on 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM

Nice article. Do you have Carol's recipe for rose water and rose jelly? There was a twist to her rose water recipe and the rose jelly recipe I lost.
By hazelnut on 09-11-2009, 12:43 PM

No I don't have it. Ill ask around and see if I can get it. Thanks for getting the bead recipe for me -- and I love your photo of Rosa carolina hips.

Here is a source for rosewater recipes.

How To Make Rose Water: Recipes & Tips : TipNut.com

OLD FASHIONED ROSE WATER RECIPE

Quote:
Items Needed:
Rose Petals
Distilled Water
Enamel Pot (any size)
Directions:
  • Fill the bottom of an enamel pot with the rose petals a few inches deep. Pour distilled water over the petals until they are just covered.
  • Turn on heat for the water to be steaming hot, but do not boil. Let the water steam until the petals have lost their color, the water has taken on the color of the rose petals and you see rose oil skimming the surface. This will take approximately 60 minutes.
  • Strain the water and squeeze out the liquid from the rose petals, this is your rosewater.
By Equilibrium on 09-12-2009, 11:47 PM

I think she passed away before she ever gave it away. I found this that she wrote about rosehip jelly, "Making rose hip jelly is complicated, so a pic blow by blow will help immensely, especially dealing with collecting them properly.
After that I'll post the recipe. (Maybe I ought to post it first) Everybody with apples or crabapples can be making them into juice which will be used almost 20/30 with the rosehip juice. Store juice in fridge until further notice."
I found a few recipes that look so so.
Rosehip Jelly
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
4 quarts ripe rose hips
2 quarts water
1 package pectin crystals
5 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
Preparation:
Simmer rose hips in water until soft. Crush to mash, and strain through a jelly bag. Should make about 4 cups of rose hip juice.
Add to juice, lemon juice and pectin crystals and stir until mixture comes to a hard boil. Stir sugar in at once. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove jelly from heat and skim off foam with metal spoon.
Pour jelly into hot sterilized jars.
Yield: about 5 cups
Recipe Source: Native Indian Wild Game Fish & Wild Foods Cookbook Edited by David Hunt (Fox Chapel Pub.)
Reprinted with permission.

Rosehip jelly
Rose hips are abundant in Canada, and they are a very good source of vitamin C. However, the cooking process destroys most of this benefit, but the wonderful taste of the rose hip is still there.

8 cups rose hips
Water
7-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. margarine or butter
1 pouch liquid pectin (Certo)

Preparation
Remove the blossom remnant from the rose hips. Bring the rose hips and enough water to cover them to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Crush the rose hips or put through a food mill. Strain the juice in a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Add any additional water if need to bring the juice up to 4 cups.

Bring the juice and sugar up to a boil. Add the margarine, then the liquid pectin. Bring back to a boil, stirring constantly boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Skim foam from surface and pour into sterile pint jars and seal. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

Yield: 8 cups
By Equilibrium on 09-13-2009, 12:06 AM

Two more rosehip jelly recipes.
The recipe

Ingredients

2lb of Rosehips (that is more than you would think!)
2lb of apples
Juice of one lemon
6 cloves
white sugar

Method

Wash the apples and Hips, removing stalks, petals and any nasty looking bits.
Roughly chop the apples.
Put the fruit in 2 separate pans and add 1pint of water to each and the lemon juice and cloves to the Rosehips pan.
Bring to the boil and simmer until all the fruit is mushy.
Strain all the fruit and juice through a Jelly Bag. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BAG TO EXTRACT EXTRA LIQUID AS THIS CAN FORCE HIGHLY IRRITANT HAIRS FROM THE ROSEHIPS INTO YOUR JUICE.
I chose to strain the juice again through a clean Jelly Bag - just to be on the safe side....

Put the strained juice into a large pan, adding 1lb of sugar for every pint of juice.
Bring to the boil, stirring until the mix reaches "Setting Point".
To test for the setting point pour a teaspoon of the mix onto a cold saucer and let it cool for a moment.
Push at the mix with your finger. If the top wrinkles as you do this, Setting Point has been reached.
Once Setting Point is reached pour the jelly into clean, hot jars (I use old honey, jam or similar jars with tight fitting screw lids) label them and store in a cool dark place.

Rosehip and Apple Jelly goes well with poultry and white meat and is a belter on toast!

Enjoy!

This has good photos, Rose Hip Jelly and Jam Recipe | Simply Recipes
By hazelnut on 09-13-2009, 07:41 AM

Thanks Equil. for rounding out the recipes! As I remember Carol and Ava stopped to collect the wild rose hips on their last trip into Anchorage so if she talked about that recipe it should be late in the thread.

'IRRITANT HAIRS' - these are the hairs that were retrieved by little boys in England to make "itch powder". They would take it to school with them and dump it down the backs of the little girls' dresses. I was so glad that tradition never got to the United States!
By Equilibrium on 09-14-2009, 02:26 AM

I've got some crabapples I need to do something with which is why I was looking for a rosehip crabapple recipe. I ran into the others. I'd still prefer to have Carol's. Can you ask Ava for it? I had part of it... maybe all of it and I can't find it.
By BooBooBearBecky on 09-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Great article on Native Roses Hazelnut!!

You've inspired me to wintersow a native rose species!

BooBooBearBecky
By hazelnut on 09-16-2009, 10:15 PM

Which ones grow where you are Booboobear?
By BooBooBearBecky on 09-17-2009, 02:10 PM

Prickly Rose, Rosa acicularis, grows here in some places. The deer like to nibble on it.

Others I know only by common name: prairie rose, and woods rose.

BooBooBearBecky
By hazelnut on 09-17-2009, 08:42 PM

'Woods rose' is usually Rosa Woodsii, but several different one's are called 'Prairie rose' - maybe Rosa setigera.
Comment

Tags
berries for birds, cinnamomeae, gymnocarpae, meadow rose, native, native plant restoration, native plants, native rose, native roses, native species roses, north, north america, pasture rose, prairie wild rose, restoration, restoration projects, rosa arkansana, rosa blanda, rosa carolina, rosa palustris, rose hip jelly, rose hips, rose water, roses, swamp rose

Journal Tools