Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (1) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 AM  
Stoloniferous
Too Wild To Garden

Default The American Chestnut

The American Chestnut
by Stoloniferous

Attachment 8403

"By 1950, the keystone species of more than 30 million...
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
By amelanchier on 09-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Here's the link to the people working on pure American chestnuts:

American Chestnut Cooperators' Foundation

Frankly, it sounds as if they're just trying to breed "somewhat blight-resistant trees" that can fruit before dying. Somewhat like elms & DED.
By JennyC on 09-05-2009, 08:36 PM

This afternoon, my husband and I figured out what to do with the clearing where the trailer sits on our property -- that's where the grove of chestnuts goes! It'll be a few years before we're ready, so there should be blight resistant trees available. And we're in the heart of chestnut country here. Filling one clear area on twenty wooded acres ought to give them a good start in those woods. I think we'll go for the asian-American crossbred ones. There's a big orchard at a university not far from here.
By swamp thing on 09-28-2009, 10:35 PM

There are lots of old houses around here with chestnut beams. Some are 150 years old and in good condition. The wood is similar to oak.
By Random on 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM

I had just ordered a one gallon Chinese cross through a native plant nursery in conjunction with TACF. It will be babied. I don't believe the ACCF is distributing seeds any longer but could be wrong. I'm somewhat intimidated by seeds of this tree anyway.

Supposedly we have a stand of AC in Warm Springs Georgia but I have not personally seen it. The oldest tree is estimated about 30 years, so everyone has their fingers crossed!

Good article!!!! Thank you.
By Darth Slater on 11-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Default Chestnut

Well its about time! I finally found a place that knows about the American chestnut! I have over 700 seedlings on my property and 6 trees that produce nuts They may or maynot succumb to the blight, but so far they havent. They are the most beautiful tree you could ever want on your property, mine nut producers are 10 years old, besides the blight these guys are almost indetructable, some have been eaten down to the roots by deer and just sprout again the following year non the worst for the wear. Genetically the blight is a very complex thing and will take a long time to eradicate or to control, as each tree has a different genetic code.
Blight is not passed to the nuts by the tree, but it is good to clean the outside of the nuts with a mild vinegar soulution before bringing them home to plant. Also do not wear the clothing or shoes you wore in an infected area, around your own trees or seedlings. By the way , I am new here and I despise the word newbie! I was a Newbie when I was born 51 years ago!! I am also lookking for chinqupin nuts, I have tomatoes to trade. I am sure the spelling is wrong!

Darth Slater
Last edited by Darth Slater; 11-24-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
By Equilibrium on 11-25-2009, 02:37 AM

6 trees fruiting is commendable. 700 seedlings should provide rock solid cross pollination if... they make it past 15 years. It's totally worth it to keep growing the pure American DNA chestnuts... you never know... you might end up being the proud poppa of the one that's 100% American DNA that's resistant. You'd be famous. Where'd your seed come from? Where are you Darth Slater? I think you're thinking of Chinquapin Oak. That's Quercus muhlenbergii if you want to look it up. I don't have any acorns or I'd give em to you. Seedsnsuch.net... or maybe it was .com might have some.
mistake... it's www.seedsandsuch.com.
Last edited by Equilibrium; 11-25-2009 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: mistake
By Pahinh Winh on 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM
dragonfly01 Questions

Hanh Stoloniferous. Fine article & I've loved the chestnut since I first stumbled across one over 25 years ago. It had chestnuts, too! I don't remember where I was, but I knew what it was bcs I'm a readaholic & Traditionals have always been 'green' since long before it was fashionable.

Anyway - my questions are: (1) would the tree grow in ND? (2) how do I get one?

& (3) I expect few people are aware of this, but garlic is a super fungicide, & I've saved several American Elms from Dutch Elm Disease by planting however-many bulb's worths of garlic cloves around the base of the tree within the drip line & then watering regularly, & repeating throughout the growing season.
I tried watering with garlic tea but it didn't do the job as well, still it's worth trying. I also slipped some garlic cloves in under the bark in some spots to see what would happen. That also worked. You should have seen the face of the forester when he came by to check on the trees. If the chestnut tree is dying due to a fungus, then perhaps it's worth trying these tricks with garlic?
The biologists have never found out what kills the fungus in Asia? There's got to be something..
Comment

Tags
american, american chestnut, american chestnut foundation, blight resistant chestnut, castanea dentata, chestnut, chestnut blight, chestnut fungus, chestnut grove, chestnut tree, chestnut wood, chestnutsm, extinction, fungus, grow chestnut, hardwood tree, hardwood trees, sequoia national forest

Journal Tools