Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (1) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM  
Porterbrook
Salamander

Default Gold in the Garden

GOLD IN THE GARDEN
By
Porterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
By Porterbrook on 10-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Another plant you might want to consider is Pycnanthemum tenuifolium (or any of the Pycnanthemum species for that matter). Its fragrance reminds me of a freshly mowed hayfield. I remember riding beside my Grandfather while he was mowing and the fragrance of mountain mint would envelop you. I also like P. tenuifolium because its white flowers last for weeks on end. Its habit reminds one of a small shrub.
By BooBooBearBecky on 10-03-2009, 03:14 AM

Porterbrook,

Well thanks for setting a newbie native plant gardener straight about the goldenrod species. I had no idea there were "good" varieties of goldenrod. I always thought all goldenrods were bad because when I was growing up, my dad made us kids walk the fields and yank it out. UGH! He also made us pull wild mustard. DOUBLE UGH!

Thanks for mentioning the other plant varieties that have interesting scents. Baling hay on the farm as a kid was hard work, but I loved the smell of freshly cut hay. I'll have to check out the Pycnanthemum tenuifolium plant, which smells like fresh cut hay.

Interesting article! And thanks for using both the common name and botanical name of the plants. I'm all new to botanical names, but I'm learning a lot of them here.

BooBooBearBecky
By biigblueyes on 10-03-2009, 08:21 AM

The Mountain Mint is attractive too. Dainty foilage. I'm zone 9, it's listed as hardy thru zone 8 or 9. That's close enough for me to try one.
Comment

Tags
garden, gold

Journal Tools