Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (1) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 PM  
Porterbrook
Salamander

Default Got Shade? Native Grasses, Sedges, and Rushes for Landscaping

GOT SHADE? NATIVES GRASSES, SEDGES, AND RUSHES FOR LANDSCAPING

By
Porterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
By Carole on 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM

I keep losing my native grasses to my dogs, too (it's the only grass I have and they think it's candy). I have some fenced off beds now and am looking forward to planting some new sedges and grasses, which are among the most endangered plants around here, so maybe I'll be providing a new seed bank for them to spread.....
By midwesternerr on 07-27-2009, 10:46 PM

I grew a fern species that was found locally, it grew on the side of my old house and once it got established it did fantastic. I had a bed that required very little weedeating in less than 2 years. Many species did fine in shade but didn't spread much, where the fern was the best at spreading I think. Another plant I've seen do well in shade is Jewelweed, it's a little taller than some people would like for a groundcover but it does well and if you have some small trees or other perches in the clumps of it, it attracts hummingbirds.
By Porterbrook on 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Carole,
You can create a very attractive bed with several of the native sedges and grasses. Be sure to select ones that are clumping. You might also want to consider placing a couple of angular stones in the bed, burying the bottom two-thirds. Plant Danthonia spicata, Carex platyphylla, Carex plantaginea, and Stipa avenacea along side of them. The stones will keep the roots of the plants cool and moist. Koeleria cristata and Sorghastrum nutans are some attractive clumping grasses to give a little height to the bed. Just some thoughts......
By Carole on 07-28-2009, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Porterbrook. I'll let you know how it goes.
Comment

Tags
grasses, landscaping, native, rushes, sedges, shade

Journal Tools