Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (1) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 04:34 PM  
Porterbrook
Salamander

Default Blazing Stars In The Garden

BLAZING STARS IN THE GARDEN

By
Frank W. Porter
Click here to read the entire garden article
Porterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
By Hedgerowe on 06-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Thank you for the information and advice Porterbrook; I am liking Liatris more the more I know about it. I am going to look for them when I am on the river. Will have to rely on you all to provide me with information from Brown, and still need to get my hands on Newcomb. I am busting my book budget this month!

Joepyeweed, your mixed bed sounds pretty.
By MrILoveTheAnts on 06-24-2009, 06:55 PM

I have the common one sold at hardware stores in packs of 40 corms (rhizomes?) I've been planting them everywhere all over the garden. I think it's called Kobolt but I might be wrong. It's only this year that I've planted different varieties, however those don't seem to like my clay soil as much.
Attached Thumbnails
Blazing Stars In The Garden-liatrisbees2.jpg   Blazing Stars In The Garden-liatris11.jpg   Blazing Stars In The Garden-liatris8.jpg   Blazing Stars In The Garden-liatris5.jpg  
By amelanchier on 06-24-2009, 09:56 PM

I think that's L. spicata there. I've seen it once in a store too (was pleasantly surprised).
By jpdenk on 08-06-2009, 11:39 PM

One way to tell Liatris spicata is by the feel of its flower heads, they are slightly sticky to the touch, L. pychnostachya isn't.

Around here, L. spicata gets very tall, 5 feet if it's really happy. It seems to be the most common one around where I live, and can be found in mesic sites as well as wetter spots.

I can find 4 species within a couple miles of where I live: L. spicata, L. aspera, L. pychnostachya and L. scariosa nieuwlandii. All the Blazing Stars are favorites of mine.

John
Comment

Tags
blazing, garden, stars

Journal Tools