Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack (1) Journal Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 PM  
Porterbrook
Salamander

Default Rock Gardening With Native Plants

ROCK GARDENING WITH NATIVE PLANTS

By
Frank W. Porter
Porterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
By Equilibrium on 11-05-2011, 12:27 AM

Karli> are you ok with just the scientific names of plants? Do you know how to look em up to see if you like the looks of them? He's got some really nice plants in his list but... not all of them are gonna work in a gravelly spot like what you described.
By Equilibrium on 11-05-2011, 01:17 AM

Porterbrook> "I did post the list of plants. It appeared on this post, but is now gone. I will attempt to post it again." I'm thinking you mixed up threads you were posting in.... it's not gone.... I just ran across it in another thread.
--
dapjwy> "I'll have to look through them." Typos happen and then there's taxonomists changing scientific names on us. I'm sticking some changes in parenthesis for you so you can find what you'll be trying to look through easier!!!
--
Sedum ternatum
Iris cristata
Iris lacustris
Silene virginiana (Silene virginica)
Liatris microcephela (Liatris microcephala)
Penstemon canescens
Heuchera villosa
Zizia aptera
Salvia lyrata
Phlox stolonifera
Phlox ovata
Allium cernuum
Antennaria neglecta
Antennaria virginica
Asarum canadense
Liatris squarrosa
Scutellaria ovata
Scutellaria parviflora (Scutellaria parvula)
Ruellia humilis
Campanula rotundifolia
Aster linarifolius (Ionactis linariifolius)
Sedum glaucophyllum
Sedum telephoides (Hylotelephium telephioides)
Krigia biflora
Krigia montana
Silene caroliniana
Eriogonum allenii
Taenidia integerrima
Draba ramissimosa (Draba ramosissima)
Arenaria stricta (probably Minuartia dawsonensis but he might have meant Minuartia michauxii)
Anemonella thalictroides (Thalictrum thalictroides)
Saxifraga virginiensis
Oxalis violacea
Hepatica americana (Hepatica nobilis var. obtusa)
Hepatica acuminata (Hepatica nobilis var. acuta )
Hypericum muticum (Hypericum mutilum)
Hypoxis hirsutus (Hypoxis hirsute)
Viola pedata
Hexastylis arifolia
Hexastylis heterophylla
Talinum teretifolium (Phemeranthus teretifolius)
Houstonia longifolium (Houstonia longifolia)
Claytonia virginiana (Claytonia virginica)
By dapjwy on 11-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
dapjwy> "I'll have to look through them." Typos happen and then there's taxonomists changing scientific names on us. I'm sticking some changes in parenthesis for you so you can find what you'll be trying to look through easier!!!
--

Thanks, Lib. Sometimes I keep up with the changes in botanical names, but there are quite a few that slipped by me. Thanks for the corrections/suggestions.
By KarliM on 11-05-2011, 12:31 PM

I'm not okay. LOL What do I do with those names?
By dapjwy on 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarliM View Post
I'm not okay. LOL What do I do with those names?
~smile~

KarliM, don't let it overwhelm you. Many of the scientific names are unfamiliar to most people. I happen to recognize some because my dad used to use them when discussing his rock garden plants. Also, I often used to leaf through wildflower guides and I began to associate the names with the flowers that I was already familiar with...just don't ask me to pronounce them!

For example, I know Antennaria neglecta and Antennaria virginica by the common name pussytoes. I often think we, here on the forum, should include both common and botanical names for those that might recognize one and not the other--and to help us all associate the botanical name with the plant we already know by another name. The main reason for scientific/botanical names is that many common names are regional (or even refer to two entirely DIFFERENT species of plant) so they are not reliable.

Well "what do you do with the names?", you can do an image search and see if you recognize them like I did here:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...EOnf0QGF7rDRBw Also, just searching the name on the web should give you information about native range and growing conditions.

Personally, I think pussytoes Antenaria sp, should do very well in the location you described. There are likely a wide range of natives that would thrive in that location.

I hope this helps. If not, I'm sure someone else will step up with a better suggestion.
By Porterbrook on 11-05-2011, 03:40 PM

If only my typing fingers were as nimble as Equilibrium's keen eyes! KarliM, I would suggest the following species to begin your rock garden in the gravelly spot:

Viola pedata
Draba ramosissima
Taenidia integerrima
Eriogonum allenii
Phemeranthus teretifolius
Antennaria neglecta
Antennaria virginica
Scutellaria ovata
Ionactis linarifolius
Hylotelephium telephoides

All of the above species grow naturally on shale barrens. You can take a look at my article about shale barrens in feature article forum for more information. Start with these species and add more as you become proficient and comfortable using them.

Good luck.
By dapjwy on 11-05-2011, 05:34 PM

KarliM,

I'm not sure what browser you use or your computer capabilities, but if you can highlight the botanical name, and right click, you can click "search Google" or some other browser. That is the quickest way that I've found.

If that doesn't work, then again, highlight the name, right click, copy, then paste in Google or your favorite browser. The search results will show information about the plant (and if you click on Images, you can quickly see what the plant looks like).
By Equilibrium on 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Default scientific name bolded, spacing added

I've started her out… I made some time but…. maybe somebody else can add common names and get good links for her... Porterbrook? dapjwy? Anyone wanna help a newbie start learning how to sort things out so we can give her a good foundation of what to look for when checking out plants>>>? I left off at Campanula rotundifolia if anyone else can help her out.
--
Karli> that was a real long list tossed at ya that I’m thinking was probably the equivalent of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics if you’ve never used botanical names before so.... I started getting some links for you and I added the common names I knew right underneath the scientific names,

-Sedum ternatum
Stonecrop, Woodland Stonecrop
PLANTS Profile for Sedum ternatum (woodland stonecrop) | USDA PLANTS
Wild Stonecrop (Sedum ternatum)
Sedum ternatum

-Iris cristata
Dwarf Crested Iris, Dwarf Iris, Crested Iris
PLANTS Profile for Iris cristata (dwarf crested iris) | USDA PLANTS
Dwarf Woodland Irises - Iris cristata
Iris cristata (Dwarf crested iris) | NPIN
By Equilibrium on 11-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Default scientific name bolded, spacing added

-Iris lacustris (not native to Indiana but native to other eastern states)
Dwarf Woodland Iris, Dwarf Lake Iris
PLANTS Profile for Iris lacustris (dwarf lake iris) | USDA PLANTS
Dwarf Woodland Irises - Iris lacustris
Dwarf Lake Iris (Iris lacustris) - WDNR

-Silene virginiana (Silene virginica)
Catch Fly, Fire Pink, Fire Pinks
PLANTS Profile for Silene virginica (fire pink) | USDA PLANTS
Silene virginica page
Fire Pink (Silene virginica)

-Liatris microcephela (Liatris microcephala)
Blazing Star, Smallhead Blazing Star, Dwarf Blazing Star, Small-Head Gayfeather, Gayfeather
PLANTS Profile for Liatris microcephala (smallhead blazing star) | USDA PLANTS (no photo)
http://depts.gpc.edu/~decbt/Liatris_microcephala.html
Comment

Tags
create, dry, dry soil, garden, gardening, gavel, native, native plants, plant, plant list, plants, rock, rock gardens, rocks, rocky, rocky soil, sandy soil, stone, stones

Journal Tools