Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners Feature Forums > Feature Articles

Comment

LinkBack Journal Tools Display Modes
Bucket cloner.
Bucket cloner.
Published by Viceroy
09-19-2012
Default Bucket cloner.

This bucket cloner is a simple design. For a small cost this makes the cloning process pretty easy. I have been able to root cuttings in as little as 4-5 days.

Tools-- drill,1"&1/2 hole saw, measuring tape. Hanson #21 tap and dye.

Parts-
1, 5 gal. bucket and lid.
8, 1/2" pvc elbows.
4, 5" pcs. of 1/2" pipe.
2, 9" pcs. of 1/2" pipe.
1, 1/2" pvc cap.
2, 1/2" pvc Ts.
1, 2 & 1/2" x 1/2" rubber hose. (pvc aisle)
1, 5 &1/2" pc. of 1/2" pipe.
4, 1"& 3/4 x 1/2" nipples (cut)
7, 1"& 5/8" neoprene plant holders.(hydroponic supply)
9, EZ clone spray nozzles. (hydroponic supply)
1,M250 AUL beckett pump.(hydroponic supply)
1,15min interval 24hr timer.(hydroponic supply)

All materials approx $40

Start by finding the center of your lid and drill a 1" 1/2 hole.Measure 4" on center to the perimeter and continue, ending up with 7 holes in a hexagon. Lid is done.
Assemble PVC as shown in a dry run, and test fit to your bucket, I set my bottom Tee at about 45degrees,the rubber hose will connect your pump and manifold here.(lower section) Make pencil marks at all joints on pipe and fittings, dismantle,glue and line up your marks.

Make 5&1/2"marks on center from elbow to elbow and from cap to Tee.(upper section) Using a 10-32 tap and #21 bit combo ($4) make your holes for your misters and attach. Fill bucket with 2.5 gallons of water making sure pump is submerged.Fill holes with inserts, one outer hole will be used to run pump cord (through an insert) and an air hose and stone,(optional) Power up pump and check all your spray patterns.

To clone I use a gel type compound. Dip cuttings according to instructions, I clip 30% off any oversized leaves. I run pump 15 on 15 off. (continuous can overheat water and kill cuttings) Check cuttings after the first three days,misting periodically. Remove and place in soil or hydroponic set up after roots are forming well. Watch em grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Bucket cloner.-dsc_7310.jpg   Bucket cloner.-dsc_7328.jpg   Bucket cloner.-dsc_7323.jpg   Bucket cloner.-dsc_7333.jpg   Bucket cloner.-dsc_7320.jpg  

By Viceroy on 09-20-2012, 07:57 AM

I will be adding remaining pics today.
By wildwatcher on 09-22-2012, 09:40 PM
pawprint

Hey Viceroy, that looks like a fun project, your model has given me the inspiration to perhaps build one for myself! tyty

wildwatcher
Last edited by wildwatcher; 09-22-2012 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: misspell
By Equilibrium on 09-23-2012, 02:08 PM

OMG.... you're too early!!! This is like totally awesome but.... there's a contest that doesn't start until Oct 1st, DIY Catchall Contest- any how-to topic in line with our Mission Statement!!!
By biigblueyes on 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Do you have a photo of it all set up? Or can you add that "cover" photo to the thread so we can enlarge it?

Please?
By Viceroy on 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Do you have a photo of it all set up? Or can you add that "cover" photo to the thread so we can enlarge it?

Please?
I will add some shots for you.
By havalotta on 01-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
OMG.... you're too early!!! This is like totally awesome but.... there's a contest that doesn't start until Oct 1st, DIY Catchall Contest- any how-to topic in line with our Mission Statement!!!
There was and adjustment made to the rules. The contest shall run from Sept 15th through Jan 15th> Thus making Viceroys entry eligible.
By biigblueyes on 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM

Good luck, Viceroy!
By havalotta on 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM

Congratulations on winning the contest Viceroy!
Niiice article.
By biigblueyes on 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM

15 on, 15 off - is that minutes? Where do you get the gel and your nutrients?
Comment

Tags
bucket, cloner

Journal Tools