Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Co-Administrator

Default Earth Partnership for Schools

EARTH PARTNERSHIP FOR SCHOOLS (EPS)

Quote:
Addresses a growing nature deficit disorder in children
Enhances learning across the curriculum
Strengthens school, family and community relationships
Provides the tools for restoring the land and enhancing our relationship to it
Earth Partnership for Schools

RESTORE Institute
Quote:
The Earth Partnership for Schools RESTORE (Restoration-Education, Science Training and Outreach for Regional Educators) Initiative was established to expand our nationally recognized model for teacher professional development to a nationwide audience, leading to improved teacher classroom practices.
Quote:
Our goal is to use native plantings and the process of ecological restoration on school grounds as a means of placing education reform into core subject areas. EPS emphasizes inquiry-based learning, multiple intelligences, and interdisciplinary connections in a hands-on, collaborative setting.
Earth Partnership for Schools

2011 Earth Partnership for Schools Teacher Institutes in CA, ID, NV, OR, WA; and also KS, IL, IN, MN, MO, NC, NE and WI
UW-Madison Arboretum: News: 2011 Earth Partnership for Schools Teacher Institutes in CA, ID, NV, OR, WA; and also KS, IL, IN, MN, MO, NC, NE and WI

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
The Bug Whisperer

A wonderful concept that I wholeheartedly applaud, but I just wonder how long it will take before the extreme right paints this as an attempt to inculcate children with a liberal/anti-business agenda...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

A truly wonderful concept that has done little, if anything, to improve academic skills since its introduction in 1991.

I just wonder how long it will take before we realize that programs such as this are not capable of meeting the needs of students from lower socioeconomic families where academics are not frequently stressed and supported by their families.

Earth Partnership, a nationally recognized model for teacher professional development, is a utopian ideal that further burdens educators while providing students from the highest socioeconomic families with an advantage.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

There are utopian ideals on the extreme left…. the extreme right and…. everywhere in between it seems and our kids end up paying the price. I like the concept…. really really well actually and…. concepts like this are helping in a community not so far away from me but…. they’re not playing out in a classroom competing for time that increasingly more kids desperately need buttoning down basics as in…. readin', writin', and 'rithmetic. Check this out, Chicago Wilderness Newsletter. This SUMMER program is way cool in that it’s serving kids from lower socioeconomic families where parents don’t exactly have the greatest track record of supporting teachers or reinforcing what their kids learn throughout the school year or the means and drive to provide their kids with tutors and educational camps and exposure to the wilds over summer break.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

You know those poor people, all a bunch of slackers without a thought to the damage they cause with all that consuming they do.

This program helped my sister in law and their school do a very good study on children with a variety of educational problems, use a pond and wooded area on school site along with a teacher mentor for the children. They recorded what the students said and did, as well as how the classroom teacher that had recommended each student, evaluated the program and the student, afterwards. The mentor also gave comments for each student. What an eye opener with value to all, from the students to the staff. The school is in a lower income, semi rural, small town area of Wisconsin.
We must see past our preconcieved ideas of what is possible to make a difference.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

You know those poor people, all a bunch of slackers without a thought to the damage they cause with all that consuming they do”. “Slackers” exist in all segments of our society and poor people consume considerably less than the middle class so I’m sorta left scratching my head at those comments.
--
The program I mentioned is in Waukegan IL…. where I volunteer. It’s a quality program that introduces at risk kids to the wilds with plenty of adult supervision that we could use more of across the US in lower socioeconomic communities if but for nothing else other than to provide kids from crime riddled neighborhoods with a stimulating academic program to “safely” while away the months of summer reinforcing what they learned during the school year. Anyone local with a police scanner can tune into Waukegan and hear what these kids are up against…. we’re not talking suburbia or rural America here where many kids are sent to camps or are free to “explore” on their own. I know most kids would benefit from this type of summer programming but rather than fooling ourselves pretending we’ve got enough $$$ to fund this properly coast to coast….why don’t we get the biggest bang for our tax dollar by providing it ONLY to the children from school districts that need it the most…. where hopey, feely, changey isn’t working as in…. the schools where our children’s raw NAEP scores are the lowest and drop out rates are the highest.... they’re ALL our children and we’ve got to stop “raising” human crops of minimally educated consumers and workers, http://icw.uschamber.com/publication/ugly-truth-state-state-snapshot-education-america.
--
And… the money is out there to provide this type of programming to socioeconomically deprived children…. all we have to do is ditch this recently mandated database that does zip nadda nothing for our children and redirect ALL the funds to the lowest performing schools, Student privacy at risk from feds—Emmett McGroarty & Jane Robbins - NYPOST.com
Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
A Bee's Best Friend

Quote:
You know those poor people, all a bunch of slackers without a thought to the damage they cause with all that consuming they do”.
A bit of sarcasm dear...

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Oopsie.... whack me when you see me for not catching that. I love sarcasm... too bad I don't always spot it right away.

Tags
earth, partnership, schools