Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Fox

Default The Land Ethic Leaders Program - Aldo Leopold Foundation

The Land Ethic Leaders program
The Aldo Leopold Foundation

Quote:
Learn to help your community think about complex and changing environmental issues and new ways to discuss our collective values and vision. The two-day Land Ethic Leaders program teaches community leaders from across the country how to lead reflective discussions using literature, film, and artwork to get people talking about the critical environmental issues of our time and, more deeply, the relationship between our human communities and what Leopold termed "the land community."
Quote:
Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac, and the concept of the land ethic itself, are ultimately about values. Our values shape our actions, both in the individual sense and as they relate to our society as a whole. Values and their relationship to individual and community decisions are extremely layered and complex, which can make it hard to find common ground to discuss them in an open, neutral setting.
Quote:
The Land Ethic Leaders program aims to help communities explore those values. We have partnered with another non-profit organization called the Project on Civic Reflection in designing the Land Ethic Leaders program, and through their years of research we’ve learned that the practice of reflective discussion can build three important qualities in participants:
1. Clarity (about values, why we do the work we do, or more generally—why we make the choices we make)
2. Commitment (to our values, our work, and our choices); and
3. A heightened sense of community connection through appreciation of our shared values.
We believe these are key pieces of the puzzle in really engaging people in a meaningful dialogue about our individual and collective commitments to the natural world.
https://www.aldoleopold.org/programs/lel.shtml
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Leopold's a favorite.... for sure. Did you ever run across this article, Aldo Leopold's Land Ethic>?
"Conclusion

Aldo Leopold’s “The Land Ethic” was a work years ahead of its time. It not only helped create and shape the development of the field of environmental ethics; it forever challenged some of the most fundamental assumptions of Western philosophical thought about the nature of humans, ethics and human relationships to the nonhuman world. Forever “new,” uncanny in its ability to inform and inspire generations of readers, scholars, activists, organizations and policy makers, Leopold’s “land ethic” continues to be a beacon for those who understand the need to foster an environmental ethic that protects and preserves wilderness for current and future generations of humans, nonhuman animals and ecological communities alike. In this respect, the legacy of Leopold’s “The Land Ethic” has just begun to be realized."
--
I'm loving that Encyclopedia of Earth site.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Fox

Default The Philosophical Foundation of a New Land Ethic

Great article! It was very interesting to see how a professor of philosophy would look at Leopold's land ethic.

I just started another reading of this book; it has been awhile.

Amazon.com: A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There. Illustrated by Charles W. Schwartz.: n/a: Books
Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Fox

Sunrise More Workshops Added

The Land Ethic Leaders Program

Quote:
Aldo Leopold’s most enduring idea is his articulation of a “land ethic,” a moral responsibility of humans to the natural world. “Nothing so important as an ethic is ever ‘written,’” Leopold noted, indicating that instead it should evolve “in the minds of a thinking community.”
Quote:
In this sense, Leopold’s Land Ethic merely gives us a starting point to reconsider the value of the natural world and our relationships with it. The Aldo Leopold Foundation designed the Land Ethic Leaders program around exactly this idea: enabling community leaders across the country to create opportunities for rich and productive dialogue about humanity’s relationships to land, making room to meet people where they stand and building upon our common ground in conversation rather than in argument.
Quote:
Upcoming workshops:

The following workshops will be held at the Leopold Center in Baraboo, Wis., except where noted. We may add one or more workshops in other parts of the country during 2012 as well, but dates have not yet been set. Click here to register.
  • September 21-22, 2012 (Fri.-Sat.) - FULL
  • October 18-19, 2012 (Thurs.-Fri.)
  • February 2013, dates TBD: Albuquerque, NM
  • August 8-9, 2013 (Thurs.-Fri.)
https://www.aldoleopold.org/Programs/lel.shtml
Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Fox

Registration is open for the August 2013 workshop:
https://www.aldoleopold.org/Programs/lel.shtml