Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default That Children's Book Idea

I hope this is the right forum in which to post this.

For the past couple of days, I've been searching sporadically for an old thread--or a digression from an old thread...to no avail. So, I am posting here instead of updating that one.

It seems to me we were discussing the idea of getting kids involved. I think I suggested writing a book for children about native habitating. After a while, someone suggested that since it was my idea that *I* should write it. If I recall, I declined.

Many years ago, I did have an idea or two for a book along the same idea--I even have a sketch somewhere--so the idea of writing it is not alien to me. I am just a big procrastinator...and I like to be inspired before I create anything.

Well, the other day as I was mowing the grass I saw a honey bee going for a clover in my path. That sparked an idea, and I stopped mowing (after going over the flower ...sorry) and went in to sketch the idea. I even wrote a sentence or two, then went back to mowing. As I mowed, several more ideas came to mind and I began to flesh out a rough story.

Last year while discussing the idea here, I did come up with a couple simple ideas...but it never went anywhere. Two of the characters from last year appear in this potential story: Miss Mary (a school teach...who is mentioned/quoted a lot by the child...and may actually appear in a picture--who knows) and the child (originally I was calling the child Libby...loosely based on Equilibriums name...however, I am leaning toward a gender neutral name or have the child tell the story in first person...I want it to be accessible to both girls and boys).

Nothing may ever come of it, but I sure did turn off the mower quite a few times to go in and draw a picture or two and ended up writing a dozen (*small*) pages or so...so, one never knows.

Here is a photo or two of the tiny note pad I was jotting idea on:
Attached Thumbnails
That Children's Book Idea-dsc06626.jpg   That Children's Book Idea-dsc06628.jpg   That Children's Book Idea-dsc066272.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

I plan to change the honey bee to a bumble bee...and I'd like to think of a native flower to be growing in the lawn.

With the dad wanting a hammock, he will be happy to have less lawn to mow and such...so he might be more agree able to whatever the child has planned. ...I'm still working out the details and hope that I do eventually (read less than two years... not 30 years or something) create something special.

The drawings are very rough sketches...I'd like the book to have beautiful artwork (hope I'm up to it). I remember reading a book to my niece that took place in the country; the illustrations were truly beautiful...though most were the alien weeds that we now associate with the country. I'd love to do something similar but with our beautiful natives spotlighted.

Creating this thread is partly to "keep me honest"--make sure that I have someone to answer to if I let it fall on the back burner again.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Fox

Perhaps as a way to introduce the concept of native versus non-native, the teacher (or a neighbor) could be removing some beautiful but invasive plant (multiflora rose?). The child's query as to why such a beauty is being destroyed could lead to an introduction to the concept, basic at first, then developed further in the story.
What age do you think would be the best target for the story? bridget should surely have input on that question.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion, Bulu (what should I call you?).

I might be able to work something like that in... So far, I do think that the teacher and the child's grandparents will be the main inspiration/motivation for the child--with nature being maybe the strongest motivator. The parents will have some interest, but I'd like the child to be teaching the parents in a sense.

I'll have to re-read the notes I've jotted down, but I feel it could work...if I keep working at it...and if I can get myself back into my artwork. I feel much more comfortable drawing the natural aspects, than human faces. We'll see how that goes.

I'd be interested in Bridget's feedback. Even if it is geared toward younger children, I imagine the parents reading it to the child and learning from it themselves and getting inspired to create a natural habitat "classroom" for thier own child(ren).
Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Thanks for the feedback and suggestion, Bulu (what should I call you?).
Bulu is fine. I'm not picky and it's almost impossible to offend me.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Bulu is fine. I'm not picky...
Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
...it's almost impossible to offend me.
Some how, for a split second, I took that as a challenge!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
A Bee's Best Friend

dapjwy, good luck with your book. It sounds like a good idea capturing how the children filter what they hear and see. I recently finished reading a paper done by my sister in law for an Action Research Project. It is called "A Walk In The School Woods". She wanted to do futher research about children and nature inspired by the book "Last Child In the Woods". There are many quotes taken from the children during and after the walks in the school woods and around the small pond (she is a school counselor in Wi) that make you wish there were more.
One child says "I wish I could stay here all day!" He sighed as they headed back towards the school. "I don't get in trouble out here."
Another is about rollie pollies found after rolling a log.
"Are they mean he wondered?"
"Well, I think they are gentle creatures."
"Would they ever hurt me?"
"I really don't think so."
"I'm trying not to be scared of rolypolies. I'm trying not to be scared of stuff,could I hold one?"
"Certainly you could."
"He would'nt be mean to me?"
"I don't think rolypolies even know about being mean."
He lets one crawl onto his hand. Holding it very carefully: "Come on little guy. You don't need to be afraid of me!"

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
dapjwy, good luck with your book. It sounds like a good idea capturing how the children filter what they hear and see.
Thank you, Gloria. I hope I will actually do it...and hope it turns out as I imagine it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
. I recently finished reading a paper done by my sister in law for an Action Research Project called A Walk In The School Woods. She wanted to do futher research about children and nature inspired by the book "Last Child In the Woods". There are many quotes from the children during and after the walks taken in the school woods with a pond (she is a school counselor in Wi) that make you wish there were more.
One child says "I wish I could stay here all day!" He sighed as they headed back towards the school. "I don't get in trouble out here."
Another is about rollie pollies found after rolling a log.
"Are they mean he wondered?"
"Well, I think they are gentle creatures."
"Would they ever hurt me?"
"I really don't think so."
"I'm trying not to be scared of rolypolies. I'm trying not to be scared of stuff,could I hold one?"
"Certainly you could."
"He would'nt be mean to me?"
"I don't think rolypolies even know about being mean."
He lets one crawl onto his hand. Holding it very carefully: "Come on little guy. You don't need to be afraid of me!"
I'll have to look for that book.

....And I must say, your post even left me wanting to read more quotes from the kids!

Tags
book, children, idea