Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default BOtanical Wikipaedia to be Created

"The website, which will be called Wikiflora.org, is intended to allow high-school students and other internet users to get involved in mapping the country’s vast biodiversity."

"They will be able to compare plants that they come across with the existing database and submit potential new entries for inclusion to an expert committee that will be asked to validate them."

""If we do not create a new methodology, then in a hundred years it will not be possible to know all of the Amazon," he said.
"We must mobilise the community to know the protocols, the requirements, the rules, how to make classifications and how to manage this process.” "

"He said he believed the website would help promote sustainability by showing the importance of biodiversity in the development of drugs and in food supply."

Brazil to create 'botanical Wikipedia' to catalogue the Amazon - Telegraph

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Interesting, jack.

Why don't we do something similar here to get young internet users more interested in preserving our own biodiversity? Perhaps, the focus would be a bit different since North America's flora has been much more extensively studied. I'd just like to figure out a way to get people more interested in the natural world.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Interesting, jack.

Why don't we do something similar here to get young internet users more interested in preserving our own biodiversity? Perhaps, the focus would be a bit different since North America's flora has been much more extensively studied. I'd just like to figure out a way to get people more interested in the natural world.

That sounds like a plan to me. I'll let you set it up and start the process, if you're doing well, I'll join in. If your doing poorly at it, I'll disavow any connection to the enterprise.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
That sounds like a plan to me. I'll let you set it up and start the process, if you're doing well, I'll join in. If your doing poorly at it, I'll disavow any connection to the enterprise.

LOL! Your personality is really coming through in your last few posts.

I'm such a procrastinator...and not very savy in the ways of setting up such an enterprise. Alas, it's finished before it's begun.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
botanical, created, wikipaedia