Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Education For (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/education/)
-   -   Plants that attract Humming birds (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/education/8532-plants-attract-humming-birds.html)

havalotta 05-26-2011 12:27 PM

Plants that attract Humming birds
 
Have you ever thought about planting a Humming bird garden?
Having a variety of attractant plants that flower successively provides Hummingbirds with a natural diet that will continue to draw them throughout the season.

We'd like to know.......
Which plants YOU have seen the Humming birds visit.

jack 05-26-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 91439)
Have you ever thought about planting a Humming bird garden?
Having a variety of attractant plants that flower successively provides Hummingbirds with a natural diet that will continue to draw them throughout the season.

We'd like to know.......
Which plants YOU have seen the Humming birds visit.

Well, though this is a bit anti-climatic, having just posted the info on the other thread, I'll start with Vaccinium, the blueberry flower.

dapjwy 05-26-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack (Post 91458)
Well, though this is a bit anti-climatic, having just posted the info on the other thread, I'll start with Vaccinium, the blueberry flower.

Jack, your original post is what prompted this thread in the first place...I'm glad you posted it here. Great way to begin.

As I mentioned there--or another post: I remember seeing a hummingbird going to wild geranium (Geranium maculatum). I'm hoping to witness it again this spring--maybe even document it on film if I'm lucky. The flower's shape is not tubular as one would expect...and it has been a while--seems I don't quite trust my memory.

Has anyone else witnessed this?

havalotta 05-26-2011 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, Thanks to the both of you for suggesting a thread of this sort.:)
I noticed they really enjoy the HOT HOT reds of the cardinal (Lobelia cardinalis) flowers.
They also liked the trumpet vine but since it had such an invasive tendency I removed it.

As I sit here, typing during commercials, Believe it or not, I just saw a little beauty fly in and hover but a moment near the window.
Wondering what had attracted it so near to the home, I slowly maneuver to see it dipping its tiny spike of a beak into the Daffodils I had just moved into a pot deck side. I made another move towards the camera but it was already on its merry little way. Needless to say I still enjoy every one I see especially from the inside where it's warm and cozy.
Attachment 23839
The daffodil, is the highly scented Actrice. A bright yellow species bearing an orange central tube.

dapjwy 05-26-2011 08:20 PM

I've seen them go to my Iris versicolor ...and monkey flower (Mimulus ringens).

Interesting to know that they go to daffodils... I guess I was hoping to create a list of *natives* that the hummers use--ones that one would not normally expect them to go to...or those that never make the "traditional" flowers-that-attract-hummingbirds lists.

If someone lists something that is not native, could they mention that it is not for those with little knowledge of what is native and what is not who stumble upon a post here. Not just for this thread, but in general.

I'm still wracking my brain to figure out which flowers shocked me to see a hummer utilize. I can't wait to see what others will post here. I'm hoping to have a whole new appreciation of what our natives can attract. The only other that comes to mind is tulip tree (maybe it is already on a list some where, because I think I read it and didn't witness it myself).

jack 05-26-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 91471)
I've seen them go to my Iris versicolor ...and monkey flower (Mimulus ringens).

Interesting to know that they go to daffodils... I guess I was hoping to create a list of *natives* that the hummers use--ones that one would not normally expect them to go to...or those that never make the "traditional" flowers-that-attract-hummingbirds lists.

If someone lists something that is not native, could they mention that it is not for those with little knowledge of what is native and what is not who stumble upon a post here. Not just for this thread, but in general.

I'm still wracking my brain to figure out which flowers shocked me to see a hummer utilize. I can't wait to see what others will post here. I'm hoping to have a whole new appreciation of what our natives can attract. The only other that comes to mind is tulip tree (maybe it is already on a list some where, because I think I read it and didn't witness it myself).

Perhaps one criteria we should follow on the thread is that the writer of the post has personally "seen" the hummer go to such a plant?

havalotta 05-26-2011 08:52 PM

Plants data base is not coming through for me at the moment but I believe the Lobelia cardinalis are a native species, the Daffodils are not, and the trumpet vine is VERY invasive.

dapjwy 05-26-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack (Post 91475)
Perhaps one criteria we should follow on the thread is that the writer of the post has personally "seen" the hummer go to such a plant?

Sounds good...so, I guess we should remove my Tulip tree comment. :)

havalotta 05-26-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack (Post 91475)
Perhaps one criteria we should follow on the thread is that the writer of the post has personally "seen" the hummer go to such a plant?

I agree, and if someone has seen a hummer use a plant and they do not know weather it was a native or not, please don't let that stop you from posting. That way everyone may learn.....

dapjwy 05-26-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 91476)
Plants data base is not coming through for me at the moment but I believe the Lobelia cardinalis are a native species, the Daffodils are not, and the trumpet vine is VERY invasive.


Right, Lobelia cardinalis is a native...and often listed as one that attracts hummers...same with the trumpet vine (although I'm not sure of its range).

The daffodil kind of surprised me, but I guess it should not have.
...I'd just add that daffodils are not native (although some people get confused because they see things en masse in "wild" areas---or areas that grew up over previously gardened areas.

(Please don't think I'm criticizing...on occasion I see things posted and I want to comment that they are not native--for the sole purpose of not confusing people seeking out information about what is native and what is not...they may assume any plant listed or pictured on anywhere in this forum is a native.

Most recently I saw someone comment about coltsfoot blooming--that is a non-native invasive. I almost made the comment on that thread, but I didn't want anyone to feel it was an attack, so I kept quiet.)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2