Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I have had great luck planting penstemon digitalis and getting hummingbirds. They are in bloom now.

Kim,

Welcome to Wildlife Gardeners!

You are a bit ahead of me in bloom time--I'm in PA. I'm looking forward to my Penstemon digitalis blooming. I saw one with tiny buds already. I've also planted their seed the past two years, so I'm hoping to create several colonies of them.

You may want to introduce yourself here: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...urself-please/

I'm sure you will get a warm welcome as this is a great group of people with a lot of information, experience, and pictures to share.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
...Any one know any natural way of keeping leaf rollers on my beautiful persimmons?
Kim,

I don't know anything about this subject...you may get a response here, but this thread is about hummingbirds, so you may want to post the question in one of these forums: Insects, Arachnids, & Gastropods - Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening or Woodies - Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

It took me a while to figure out this site, too...and where to post what--or HOW to create a new thread (there is a button near the top called "New Thread") I still am not familiar with all of the different forums offered at this site...but here is the list: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...-gardeners.php

Hope this is helpful. The only comment I really have (considering I don't know anything about leaf rollers) is that, in a healthy environment where there is enough biodiversity, there should be something around to eat (and keep in check) the leaf rollers. Hopefully, someone will give you a more detailed answer.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #43
Offical Silphium Abuser

A white-flowered penstemon that I don't remember planting just opened in my wildflower garden; it's next to a clump of obedient plant. Could such a thing migrate in on its own in western West Virginia?
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #44
Salamander

Hi Kim,
You might get better and more knowledgeable responses on the 'Fruits and Nuts' or 'Woodies' forum.
However, if all your 'leaf rollers' contain spiders, you might want to leave them alone, since I suspect they are just going to use a few leaves for nesting and will predate on the leaf-roller caterpillars and other insects that would actually eat your plants/trees.
If it's any comfort I opened up a 'roll' on one of my Asclepias last week, thinking it was a caterpillar (and wanting to save my plants for a different kind of caterpillar) only to find I'd disturbed a mother spider with her egg case. The case seems fine, but now I'm kicking myself and hoping the spiderlings survive to hatch!

Here's a link to the main Forums page where you can pick & choose your categories:
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...-gardeners.php
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
A white-flowered penstemon that I don't remember planting just opened in my wildflower garden; it's next to a clump of obedient plant. Could such a thing migrate in on its own in western West Virginia?
I would think so. Penstemon digitalis is white-flowered. I would think its range extends south at least to WV. In the right conditions it should spread into a nice colony.

I'm waiting for many of my natives to start spreading on their own.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #46
Salamander

Adding these:
Firebush, Hamelia patens
A wild four o'clock, possibly Mirabilis multiflora
Anacacho Orchid Tree, Bauhinia luarioides
Cenizo, Leucophyllum frutescens
ButterflyLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 AM   #47
Offical Silphium Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I would think so. Penstemon digitalis is white-flowered. I would think its range extends south at least to WV. In the right conditions it should spread into a nice colony.

I'm waiting for many of my natives to start spreading on their own.
I suspect I should separate it from the physostegia, which in my experience really spreads on its own.
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #48
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Hi Kim.....
Myself, I'd just let them be.... I don't mind having a few spiders around.
They're not causing any real damage are they?
Spiders are one of the beneficial insects one usually wants to control the others that feast upon your plants!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #49
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
The Lonicera is my pride-and-joy, though. I stopped putting out hummingbird feeders once mine were well-established. I know when the hummingbirds will arrive since it seems to roughly coincide with when the honeysuckle begins blooming.

Here's a link to a thread where I posted a photograph last year:
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...ngbirds-4.html

Didn't realize until I pulled this thread up how much she has grown since last spring!
Ooooo My apologies will-o-wisp
I hadn't realized you had already established a thread on the same topic.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #50
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

I caught a hummingbird tasting our Blue False Indigo plant, but it didn't hang out for long.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attract, attraction, birds, flame acanthus, flowers, hummers, humming, hummingbird, monarda, monarda didyma, plants, rose pavonia, skeleton plant, turk's cap, wildflowers