Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #41
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

No such luck...She hasn't bought it yet.
I met up with yet another sales woman that hasn't the slightest idea as to how to turn a camera on!
WHAT the heck is this world coming to?
All have their brains in their hands texting one another...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #42
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

The day has come that one must do online research and not rely on minimum-wage help~

Roger wants to get me the fz-100 and I say my problem is my eyes and I don't want to learn a new camera for the few extra mp~ I can't see the lcd or the viewfinder anymore...............
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #43
Heron

If you're sticking with a point and shoot, I strongly urge you to go with a camera with a lower pixel count. In point and shoots, the sensor is really tiny, and cramming lots of pixel sites onto their tiny sensors results in serious loss of image quality at ISO's beyond the lowest one or two settings.

Personally, for any photography other than casual snapshots, I would never use anything other than an SLR, as that's what I used for many years in my 35mm film days, and I really miss the manual control and instantaneous response that they offer when I use a point and shoot model, plus I like being able to use higher ISO's without losing detail to noise or noise reduction. Fewer diffraction softening issues too. An SLR is a more versatile option, albeit more expensive and heavier.

But to each their own. In some cases, like in situations where you want a lot of depth of field, a small-sensor point and shoot may be the answer, as they inherently yield a lot of depth of field due to the very short focal length of the their lenses.

John
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 AM   #44
Fox

A friend of mine bought a Panasonix Lumix G1 recently (Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 12.1MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with Lumix G Vario 14-45 mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Lens (Black): Camera & Photo ). He doesn't shoot the same kinds of things you'd be likely to shoot, but I'll see if he can drop by later to talk, if you think it will help.
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
If you're sticking with a point and shoot, I strongly urge you to go with a camera with a lower pixel count.
In point and shoots, the sensor is really tiny, resulting in serious loss of image quality at ISO's beyond the lowest one or two settings.
I did notice that with the fujifilm I'm currently using ....
So basically if you'd keep the ISO settings in the 100-400 range THEN more pixels would produce a better photo quality, but beyond that....

Quote:
I would never use anything other than an SLR. I'd really miss the manual control and instantaneous response,
plus I like being able to use higher ISO's without losing detail. An SLR is a more versatile option, albeit more expensive and heavier.
THAT's the reason I'm thinking of going to an SLR.... I'm having such a hard time taking low light photos with the point and shoot.
One of the reasons why I originally bought the fujufilm was...It was the quickest at taking shots of all the point and shoots..I HATED the lag time the others had.
Capturing shots of people and critters after the fact, for instance, a smile or a doe leaping a fence.

Perhaps I should just buy that Sony Alpha NEX-3K Wall mart has and give it a try....(It's that compact SLR I was just asking about) OR...
have them order the NEX-5 (which I'd prefer being metal verses plastic) They said it was returnable within two weeks time.
I think what's holding me from actually buying one at the moment is... I've other things sucking up my time ....And nothing but lots and lots of snow!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #46

Reviews forPanasonic Lumix DMC-G1

Quote:
Panasonic's stated reasons for introducing Micro Four Thirds are simple; to produce smaller cameras that act more like compact DSCs whilst offering the quality and versatility of a DSLR - and in doing so to convert some of the millions of compact camera buyers who - according to research - are put off digital SLRs by the bulk, complexity and lack of user-friendliness.
Hmmmmm Looks like I'd like to look into the mini SLRS a bit more...
SURE Calliandra....Send us his view on how he likes his!
Quote:
By offering a camera that works and handles like a compact (Panasonic FZ users will feel right at home) but produces output a lot more like an SLR, Micro Four Thirds has carved out a potentially lucrative niche for itself in a market crying out for innovation.
There you go Sage!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #47
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I did notice that with the fujifilm I'm currently using ....
So basically if you'd keep the ISO settings in the 100-400 range THEN more pixels would produce a better photo quality, but beyond that....

THAT's the reason I'm thinking of going to an SLR.... I'm having such a hard time taking low light photos with the point and shoot.
One of the reasons why I originally bought the fujufilm was...It was the quickest at taking shots of all the point and shoots..I HATED the lag time the others had.
Capturing shots of people and critters after the fact, for instance, a smile or a doe leaping a fence.

Perhaps I should just buy that Sony Alpha NEX-3K Wall mart has and give it a try....(It's that compact SLR I was just asking about) OR...
have them order the NEX-5 (which I'd prefer being metal verses plastic) They said it was returnable within two weeks time.
I think what's holding me from actually buying one at the moment is... I've other things sucking up my time ....And nothing but lots and lots of snow!
First, I'm very fussy about image quality. I've shot with point and shoots, used them for 5 years before I got my first digital SLR in 2004. I shot film SLR's for decades before going digital. I greatly prefer APS-C sized SLR's, so I am biased, keep that in mind, just want to add that as a preface.

Personally, I would shoot at the base ISO primarily and wouldn't go higher than ISO 200 with any current point and shoot camera (assuming a small sensor). Even at ISO 200, you're not getting the full benefit of the pixel count, as you're already losing finest detail to noise reduction. They have gone WAY overboard on pixel counts on point and shoots because people have been fooled into thinking that the more pixels the merrier, so they give the camera-buying public what they want, at the expense of image quality.

And I personally don't see the sense to the 4/3 SLR's. They're not much smaller and lighter than the smaller APS-C sensor SLR's, but the smaller sensor means they don't have quite as good image quality as the larger-sensor SLR's, and lens selection is more limited. To me, the trade-off isn't worth it. If you're going to go the SLR route, go with an APS-C sized sensor camera, they give the most bang for the buck. IMO, 12MP is the optimal resolution for APS-C sensors, any more than that and you start losing fine detail by ISO's above 400,and diffraction softening becomes more of a problem, not to mention the larger file sizes.

The new micro 4/3 interchangeable lens cameras, such as the Sony's you mentioned, will probably become a very viable alternative to SLR's. Currently, they may or may not suffice for what you want to do, only you can decide that. Image quality is quite good, not quite as good as APS-C SLR's though. Their lens and accessory selection is very limited compared to traditional SLR design cameras, and an electronic viewfinder is not yet as good as the optical viewfinder on SLR's.

For about the price of the Sony that you mention, you could get an entry-level SLR and kit lens. Another way to go might be to buy a gently-used SLR. There are some great deals on them from people who bought them and then found them to be more camera than they could deal with.

Which brings up an important point (going off on a tangent, I know): In spite of BS like Nikon's ads with Ashton Kucher, or Panasonic's ads with the know-nothing photographer, the person behind the camera needs to know at least a bit about photography in order to get the best results from the camera on a consistent basis. If you use the camera on automatic, you will usually get very decent results, but usually not the best results possible, and occasionally you will get awful results. The photographer needs to know how their camera works and how to use it correctly in order to get consistently good results, my $.02 worth. It isn't hard to learn the basics of photography, so don't let that scare you off from getting a better camera.

Check out DPReview.com for good camera reviews while you're shopping.

John
Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #48

Quote:
Equill: About a new mega pixel camera.... I'm not a commercial photographer. I can't see any reason printing off a photo bigger than say.... an 8x10 so more mega pixels wouldn't do much for me. I'd go for better optics on a new camera before I'd go for bigger mega pixels since no way no how can I afford something like a Hasselblad camera that'll let me have both for my dollar. More doesn't always mean better as in I'm getting told the bigger mega pixel cameras are more for marketing than anything else because.... they're giving up camera quality somewhere else to keep prices down for folk who are dazzled by the allure of more mega pixels. I'm not too good at cameras... I'm pretty much a point and shoot person so Zeiss type optics were always sold to me as being a better bang for my dollar than mega pixels but.... maybe sage could explain this better since other professionals keep telling me more pixels doesn't mean better photos and that my 12.5 mega pixel camera is already more than enough to print off poster size photos if I want but that I'd never need to do that so why spend more money on another camera with even more mega pixels. Here's 2 articles I found that sorta say what folk have been telling me, How Many Megapixels Do We Need? and Digital Cameras. Do we Really Need all These Mega Pixels?.
This is the camera sonnie says I should pursue. It's rated 4.8 on a 5 scale!
Would its photos load ok here without re-sizing? Sony - Cyber-shot 16.2-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - DSCHX100V/B

Equill......I lost the re-sizing site you had set up for me on my desktop with the computer problems I recently had.
What was its name? I'll see if my son can re install it...

Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #49
Official Plant Nerd

I think you better get help from sage picking out a new camera. That may be a great camera in our kid's eyes but I dunno if it's so great for us when all we want to do is take better photos. At that size megapixels.... you'd definitely have to resize and my bet is if it took you 2-3 years to overload your 250GB hard drive with photos and videos from the camera you're using now.... you'll be buying 1T GB hard drive by ohhhh.... about this time next year considering how many photos you take. The files from a camera with that size mega pixels would be HUGE. I don't remember where I took it from for you.... I thought I got it from Softonics. Maybe sonnie pie can find a safe place for getting it. No matter where you get PhotoFiltre Free... that's the name of the resizing software you want to look for... don't take any toolbars they might want to give you when you're adding it back. Here's a site, PhotoFiltre download and reviews from SnapFiles. That's the right version too. It's the same 1 I'm using. Just make sure you're clicking on the download to PhotoFiltre and NOT the download to some other software on the page and don't take any toolbars or other junk!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #50

Thanks....It's been saved into bookmarks for now.
One of the reasons I so far haven't pursued a new camera is the fear of complicating the loading into the site.
I don't know if I want or have the time to monkey around with copying and re-sizing each and every one of them before hand.
I guess what I'm trying to say is....I'm kind of on hold hoping W.G will eventually have what it takes to accept the larger better files before pursuing one although I really DO want and pretty much need a better one right now. My camera has some major scratches in its lens and the picture quality is not up to par anymore unless I play in the manual mode.

Tags
brands, buy, camera, camera brands, camera features, camera models, cameras, canon, choice, comparison, cons, features, fuji, olympus, opinions, options, panasonic, photo, photographer, photography, photos, pros, pruchase, specifications, taking pictures