Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

havalotta, the cameras today are so complex, they do not come with user manuals as before. The fz-35 came with a very small one, and a disc, which Roger studied online. I used to refer the manual for the fz-7 and fz-18 a lot, but I can't do that out in the field now. Just so you know. It's more important now than ever before to understand shutter priority vs aperture priority or you will be limited to automatic, which never gives artsy results.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternerr View Post
I thought about going dslr but the $ and weight of a lens with the reach I need for birds/mammals didn't seem very practical for a guy who likes to hike.
I love my dslr and I haven't found it's weight to be an issue. I'm a whole 5' of nothing. Admittedly the biggest lens I have is a 300mm and if I could afford the 800mm I covet I am sure its weight would be an issue. This is where tripods and monopods come in. I already carry all this with me when I am out hiking, so the only difference then becomes the difference in weight between my 300mm lens and the 800mm lens. I'm sure it is something I could deal with.

Price is a whole different thing. Dslr's can be and most times are expensive, but I feel the payoff is in a higher quality end product. Tack sharp, perfect...that is what I want and strive for in my pictures. It's a personal thing, an insatiable need for perfection and the ability to have that full control to make it happen. Now if I can only get my understanding of the full capabilities of my dslr down. Good thing I enjoy learning.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #13

Maggy, we saw a guy photographing a painted bunting in Corkscrew, Naples, with the hugest equipment! Of course, that's exactly what I'd need!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #14

havalotta, Roger reviewed your selections and registered for WG so he could post this, but they haven't okayed him yet, so he asked me to post this~

Quote:
Panasonic premieres Lumix DMC-FZ100 high-speed superzoom camera: Digital Photography Review See my comments below.

Olympus SP-800UZ & SP-600UZ with 30x & 15x zoom lenses: Digital Photography Review No EVF. Few external control buttons

Fujifilm introduces FinePix HS10 with 30x optical zoom: Digital Photography Review Manual zoom

Cnet rates Canon SX30 3.5 stars; Panasonic FZ100 rates 4 stars Could not find a review of the Canon SZ30 by preview.

We are partial to Lumix cameras starting with the FZ7, then FZ18 and now FZ35. Bought the lens adapter and teleconverter lens, which adds 70% to the camera reach at full 12 MP. Dropping to 3 MP extends the optical range even farther. Could use that same lens on the FZ100 by purchasing a longer adapter for the longer lens. The Leica lens of the base camera has been one of the best.

The FZ100 would be my choice. Panasonic started from scratch with digital cameras and not from the 35 mm field. Working with Olympus 4/3 camera that eliminates the SLR mirror "box" they came out with "DSLR" cameras almost the size of a point and shoot. They are not SLR cameras because they don't have the mirror box but I don't know what else to call them. They have removable lenses. They have incorporated their "DSLR" technology in their P/S cameras where possible. They were one of the first to offer variable focus while taking movies and zooming.

The FZ100 uses a MOS sensor as opposed to CCD as in previous FZ models. MOS sensors were used in their DG ("DSLR") models.

Online prices have dropped to an attractive level. Our FZ-35 is fine for our purposes, for now.))) Very tempted to get the FZ-100.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Mentor

I don't put a lot of faith in online reviews for cameras. Many people don't bother learning how to use a camera before writing a review. They may rate one higher than another just because they had better light that day or a better scene or something easier for AF. It really does stink that it's somewhat difficult to try cameras before you buy. Really I don't think there's that much of a difference in the superzooms, though. People are getting good shots with all of them, but obviously they are not up to dslr capabilities.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

promise

Thanks Cirsium for the input...AND the private message links that you had sent me to start the search for a decent camera.
I thought it would be good to bring some of the best camera options available for others to view and think about.
GREAT photos can only improve the sight and all

Thanks to Sage AND Roger for all your time..... I'll be reading through them real soon.
Sooooo It sounds like the two of you liked the Panasonic FZ 100 too! Guess I hit the best one on the head then ha?
NOW.....All I have to do is sit back and wait to see if THAT is the one they are expecting to come in anytime soon.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #17

Reviews from camera users tell you how they like that camera but the reviews by Steves Digicams, cnet and dpreview are giving the results of their scientific testing. Two different things, both useful to a potential buyer, but I rely more on the test results.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #18

Quote:
We bought the lens adapter and teleconverter lens.
Nice addition. I'm full of questions now that you mention it....
Do you normally keep it attached to the camera?
If so... Can you still do everyday shots of family or floral close ups with it or do you need to remove it for the closer shots?
Does it add much length-weight to the front of your camera?
May I ask how much the combination cost?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #19

I'm full of questions now that you mention it....

Do you normally keep it attached to the camera? Yes and no. Roger usually uses it because it's a bit heavy for my weak right arm. I used to use it but broke the first one soon after we got it. For best results, I need a tripod or brace it on the car window with beanbags. He, of course, does hand-hand just fine.

If so... Can you still do everyday shots of family or floral close ups with it or do you need to remove it for the closer shots? We keep the adapter and lens screwed together so it can be easily put on the camera, which has a setting for the addition of the telephoto or macro lens. So, for normal photography, you have to take the long lens off and change the setting. I use a Raynox 250 lens on my camera for macros too, which I know you would love! $60

Does it add much length-weight to the front of your camera? +5-6" I think, and of course glass is heavy. It has many (13?) lens things in it.

May I ask how much the combination cost? I think about $300 more + tax, S&H, for the adapter and long lens. But we need it for Peregrine shots. You probably would not need it, and if you want it later, order it then. You may find cropping is sufficient and easier.

Another option is using an older compact camera with a scope for great range. It's called digiscoping if you want to look into that. It's fun thinking about updating camera stuff, isn't it?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #20

Sounds more like a dslr when you start adding the lengthly heavy lens to the Panasonic...

I think I'd pass on the lens adapter and teleconverter lens. (For me) It may be more of a pain in the behind to be switching from looking at (lets say an eagle) with the big honking lens then see a real beauty of an insect that forces me into unscrewing the lens to put another on? for a shot of the insect before its GONE! I'm more into traversing the countryside and taking shots both NEAR and FAR than using a tripod for still shots.

Is the Panasonic capable of taking macros-normal shots and zooms WITHOUT changing the lens?
(The fuji I currently use can....) It's pretty simple and fairly compact.

Tags
brands, buy, camera, camera brands, camera features, camera models, cameras, canon, choice, comparison, cons, features, fuji, olympus, opinions, options, panasonic, photo, photographer, photography, photos, pros, pruchase, specifications, taking pictures