Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #131
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Got it! I'll have to check out some of those filters. The only filters Panasonic offers for this model is the MC, a transparent filter that acts as a lens protector ($21), the ND filter that reduces light to the lens by 1/8th ($21), and the PL filter that represses reflected light for more contrast, meaning polarizing ($60). I'm sure you can get less expensive filters from other companies, this is one that came up when browsing Amazon.
Amazon.com: Photive 52mm Filter Kit For Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150K DMC-FZ150 Digital Camera Includes 52mm Multi-Coated 3 PC Filter Kit (UV, CPL, FLD) + LensPen Cleaning Kit + Lens Cap Keeper + Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Camera & Photo

I didn't get any extra goodies with my camera yet. I would like to get the tele conversion ($190) and the close up ($73) lenses though. You need the lens adapter ($25) for both of those. There are probably less expensive ones that are adaptable from other companies but I think I'll spring for the Panasonic brand just to ensure compatibility.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #132
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Thank you all!
I bet you thought I'd never get around to making the switch.
It will be a long hill to climb learning its controls before it begins to once again feel like a part of me but It'll come.
Yes, so many features means so much to learn. Here's the link to download the manuals:
Operating Manuals for Panasonic Products

One thing that you can do to make the process easier is to learn the Custom feature first. You can preset a whole bunch of settings for one type of picture taking with the Custom setting, like macros for example. Then when you see that close up of a bug you can just turn to the Custom preset and click away.

With the macro situation taken care of for the time being, you can then focus your attention on the other difficult situation of getting good distance shots like that bird up in the top of a 100 foot tree.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #133
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That's probably more like the one he had ordered for me.....I couldn't find but the one when I did a search to give you an idea what I had meant.

Those are some big time lens you're hoping to jump into! What exactly are they capable of?
Thanks NEWisc...I'll look onto those.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #134

Almost a month's gone by since I've had my new camera but have been too busy to give it more than a quick try.....

Old 06-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #135

That's too bad! I try to take a few minutes every day, usually when I'm on walkabout in the late afternoon and I always take my camera along in case something interesting pops up.

Just as a warning, the USB cable that connects your PC to the camera is finicky. If you aren't careful and the ends get bent you are in trouble. I know because that happened to me today.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #136

Oh no! Thanks for the warning....I'll watch it.
I'm still grabbing the oldie when and if I see anything worth running for.
All I've really done was flick through the dial real quick. Never noticed where the macro settings were but did take a few day and evening shots a while back. WEEDS WEEDS WEEDS Darn ole WEEDS keep me knuckling down!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #137

Here's a quick macro setting - the flower icon on the dial and the AFflower icon on the side (the middle focus setting). You can mess around with tweaking later.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
Here's a quick macro setting - the flower icon on the dial and the AFflower icon on the side (the middle focus setting). You can mess around with tweaking later.
Both do the same thing? An either or option......... or do both?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #139

Do both.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #140

Really? It takes both to go into macro.....Last post......I'm signing off to go play.
Been raining all day here but it finally gave me a chance to get caught up with the threads I hadn't time to browse. Good time for me to go finish creating the maps for the trip to Booboos too before the sun shines. Been putting that off for way too long. It's been too nice to sit in!

Tags
brands, buy, camera, camera brands, camera features, camera models, cameras, canon, choice, comparison, cons, features, fuji, olympus, opinions, options, panasonic, photo, photographer, photography, photos, pros, pruchase, specifications, taking pictures