Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #91
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Although the 47 is now cheaper, it does not have a tilting LCD screen.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #92
Official Plant Nerd

jpdenk could probably answer all your techy questions. The tilting option on my Canon I've used like a handful of times just playing with it. It's probably 1 of those features we could live without and the other problem with it is that it would probably break if you used it a lot. Since Sage KNOWS the Luminex cameras.... why not just go with that brand since you'd always have someone you could bounce things off. I'm only buying another Canon because well.... I've got 1 already and I'm familiar with where most of everything is on the body and it's got good auto focus features.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #93
WG Fundraising Coordinator

FWIW, I just got the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 for Christmas. I really love it. I'm still learning how to use it so I have to go back and read the manual often. I'll probably never utilize all the features this camera offers. The video is great, I just took some storm video of cool clouds and heat lightning last evening, if I could just remember to keep my hands off the camera while it's recording they'd be great. I'm going to try to get some stills off it today, I'll post them over in the Weather thread if they come out. Oh, and I use the tilting screen a lot, especially for close to the ground shots or high overheads.

Of course there is something to be said for sticking with a brand you know, the learning curve is probably less steep. Since I was starting from zero it didn't matter to me, I'm just an old dog trying to learn new tricks!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #94
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
jpdenk could probably answer all your techy questions. The tilting option on my Canon I've used like a handful of times just playing with it. It's probably 1 of those features we could live without and the other problem with it is that it would probably break if you used it a lot. Since Sage KNOWS the Luminex cameras.... why not just go with that brand since you'd always have someone you could bounce things off. I'm only buying another Canon because well.... I've got 1 already and I'm familiar with where most of everything is on the body and it's got good auto focus features.
What techy questions need answering? I'd be glad to help, if I can.

If someone is shopping for a camera, the DPReview.com site is a good resource for camera reviews, although they can't review every camera anymore, just too many cameras nowadays, but they do review the better models. Their forums are good for getting opinions about specific models from other users, although users there tend to be hardware geeks who like to upgrade their cameras frequently.

When you're shopping for a camera, there's much to be said for going to a store where you can handle the camera or cameras you're considering buying, as some cameras just don't feel right when you hold them. You need to get a camera that has a layout that makes sense to you and that makes you want to use the camera. If the interface isn't reasonably intuitive, or of it's a pain to use its important features, you'll tend to not feel like using your camera.

John
Old 03-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #95
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

What I gleaned scanning over THIS "real informative" site! Canon SX40 HS review | Cameralabs

Panasonic FZ150
GOOD POINTS
Deeper better feeling camera body (Canons Feels plastic)
Has a lens Hood, (Canons did not)
3"screen shows larger photos (Canons 2.75)
Has "External microphone" input, (Canons is on its barrel, noise when zooming?)
Quicker focus than Canon
Videos zoom is quite able to focus from near to far and back (Canon lost its focus quite regularly!)
Panasonic's can film until the chip fills (Canons time is Limited)

Canon SX40
GOOD POINTS
35x zoom verses Panasonics 24.
Can take 2-4 second videos PRIOR to each photo taken to create a movie digest -(mini film of your day)
Allows you to take photos WHILE filming. (It does however create a tiny lag in the actual video)
Night mode can be set to take 3 images and merges them to basically erase the wiggles.
HIGH CONTRAST photo taking mode available....

So THAT'S why I had liked its sample photos over the others! I noticed they were....Quite a bit more vivid!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #96

I've located a Canon PowerShot SX40 HS locally and am going to go and give it a quick feel.
My last attempt at seeing if a guy could order the Panasonic failed!

Jpdenk, What I desire most...... Quick shooting, great macro and better focus in twilight (Dim forest) settings than my Fujifilm could.
Unless you can tell me why you think the Canon would be a better choice I'm definitely purchasing the Panasonic.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #97

No Panasonics to be found OR ordered through any of the dealers in my area! I am SOOOO bummed!
Came back with a recommendation of checking into SONY DSC HX 100V

Ok here we go again.....
Needing the good and the bads of "that one" OR trying to find out how to order the panasonic from my home myself somehow.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #98
Fox

Ordering form Amazon is easy. They have a good reputation, low prices, and an easy return policy. Shipping is usually free, if you are willing to wait 5 - 10 days.
Amazon.com: Panasonic DMC-FZ150K 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom (Black): Electronics
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #99
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Got mine from Amazon. No prob.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #100
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I've located a Canon PowerShot SX40 HS locally and am going to go and give it a quick feel.
My last attempt at seeing if a guy could order the Panasonic failed!

Jpdenk, What I desire most...... Quick shooting, great macro and better focus in twilight (Dim forest) settings than my Fujifilm could.
Unless you can tell me why you think the Canon would be a better choice I'm definitely purchasing the Panasonic.
Well, in my opinion, if you want the fastest focus, easily usable truly great macro (as well as true 1:1 macro), better auto-focus in dim light and maximum flexibility, then you need to look at an SLR.

As far as I'm concerned, any current point-and-shoot has fine detail/noise reduction issues issues with ISO's higher than maybe 100, 200 absolute tops, but most are losing fine detail to noise reduction even at base ISO because camera manufacturers are cramming too many pixel sites onto really tiny sensors. But I'm very fussy about stuff like that, probably fussier than most people, and I'm willing to fiddle with changing lenses, etc. that's required for using an SLR.

But if an SLR isn't an option for you, then from what I can see without spending a lot of time researching the FZ150, the Panasonic seems to be a really good advanced point-and-shoot camera. If it offers what you need, then go for it. It looks to me like you've done your homework, so go ahead and get the camera that appeals to you.

My old Panasonic FZ5 is the best point-and-shoot I've ever owned, and I've taken lots of really nice photos with it, so I like the Panasonic cameras and would expect that the current Panasonic FZ series camera should be a very good camera.

Regarding the Canon: the 35X zoom is not a good thing, IMO. The longer the zoom range, the more compromises in optical performance are required. I say go with the Panasonic FZ150, learn how to use it and you'll be very happy with it. Just remember, as with any small-sensor camera, shut off the auto-ISO feature so you can keep the ISO as low as possible to maximize image quality.

I agree that Amazon is easy and reliable for ordering stuff, so go to them since you're not finding the FZ150 locally. Don't let the local dealers talk you into buying something you don't want, as you won't be happy.

John

Tags
brands, buy, camera, camera brands, camera features, camera models, cameras, canon, choice, comparison, cons, features, fuji, olympus, opinions, options, panasonic, photo, photographer, photography, photos, pros, pruchase, specifications, taking pictures