Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Education For

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
WG Facilitator

I re-read your posts. It's not just that you find children annoying (sorry, dude - they're our future. The fact that you're still eager to learn is proof that pushing children to get involved really works) or that you're being left out of the all the interesting projects. You're of the opinion that there needs to be more stuff targeting high school.

It sounds like you need to get involved to make that happen in your area. The next time you see something tailored for kids that you'd like to see offered to teenagers, jump in. Contact the folks in charge, and offer to help pull together a similar program for teenagers. Or pull together a program yourself and approach a high school or science club of your target age group.

You can do it! Go for it.

Last edited by biigblueyes; 11-29-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Co-Administrator

Here's one opportunity for adult learning; as well as a potential teaching opportunity:

List of State Naturalist and Master Naturalist Programs

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
Grub

Many teenagers and young adults would rather spend their time with video games rather than in nature. I used to take my kids to all kinds of nature events, but when they became older they refused to go. Perhaps that is why these events aren't being offered to the older age range because not very many of them show up for the events.
Runmede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #14
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runmede View Post
Many teenagers and young adults would rather spend their time with video games rather than in nature. I used to take my kids to all kinds of nature events, but when they became older they refused to go. Perhaps that is why these events aren't being offered to the older age range because not very many of them show up for the events.
Were these the same events that they went to as kids? Or were their interests in video games, internet, and cell phones taking all their attention?

I've been looking to make competitive butterfly gardening a sport.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
WG Facilitator

We're looking forward to hearing about this new project of yours. . . And seeing pictures too, of course!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
Were these the same events that they went to as kids? Or were their interests in video games, internet, and cell phones taking all their attention?
I've been looking to make competitive butterfly gardening a sport.
My kids didn't get to play video games until they were age 8. The events that I'm talking about would include going out for walks in nature and attending nature events at parks. The video games, internet, and cell phones do take all their attention. They are 19 and 22 now. Hopefully, later they will get back to nature.

I'm an avid butterfly gardener. I bring in lots of butterflies and moths to raise so even when they don't go out I'm sharing this with them.

When they were in elementary school, I helped create outdoor gardens at their school. These gardens are still being used and expanded. For several years, I've been helping a preschool friend by giving her Monarch butterfly caterpillars to raise in the classroom. The preschool kids love this activity. Most are 4 years old, but some are only 3.
Runmede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, teaching